View post (Playing wrong handed...)

View thread

tomix3568
tomix3568
07/20/2022 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: srikanth.thuy

I have a dominant right hand. But when I'm learning, I see the use of my left hand on the fret board is stressing me. Thereore, I'm considering shifting to left hand style to make use of my dominant right hand on the fret board, instead of usint it for strumming.

Any suggestins please!

I would not recommend this. There's a good reason why the picking hand is the dominant hand. I'm strongly left-handed and I've always played right handed. I'm a good guitar player, but for how much work I've put into it, I should be able to strum and pick much better than I can. I listen to Thom York's acoustic strumming on OK Computer, and I don't think I could ever lay back on the beat that perfectly and consistently. There's a bit of a robotic vibe to my strumming.

Also, and probably most importantly, I can't sing and play the guitar at the same time very well. It's sad, because one of my greatest strengths is songwriting. There's something in the wiring of the brain that makes it really hard to strum with my non-dominant hand while singing. I've practiced it a lot, and can perform decently, but not going to blow anyone away with my rhythmic tightness while singing.

Now, if you're just doing it to find a creative edge with your right hand on the fretboard, it might be worth a try. People have always told me I'm a very creative, original guitar player, and it might have a lot to do with that. Or maybe just being right-brain dominant in general...