View post (Scale for all major chords)

View thread

GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
01/14/2016 6:25 pm
Originally Posted by: BigScaryGaryHi All,

I'm trying to get into theory for writing and soloing. My understanding is there's a rule for a scale that the 1,4, and 5 chords are in the same major/minor (is that what mode means?) and the 2,3, and 6 are the opposite. I found a really good chord progression that I'm liking, but I'm using 5 different chords, and they're all major.

For the main verse of the song, I'm using D->C->G, which fits into G Major that I'm trying to work with. Then for the chorus, I have one phrase that repeats F->D a few times, and ends with G->A. Basically, I'm using everything except B and E, and everything's major.

So, how would I translate this to a scale that I would use to play lead and solos. I know it's not unheard of to change key in a song, but I'm trying to keep it basic. Also, I don't know of any major/minor scale that allows the F and D to be the same. How have more experienced musicians handled this?

Thanks for your help.

If you're in the key of G and all the chords are major, I'd say the G major scale would be a safe bet:

G, A, B, C, D, E, and F♯

Take a look at this as well: http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-g.html

It look like the only thing that might cause some dissonance will be the F to D section, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't stick with the G major scale.

Hope this helps!