View post (Mexican strat)

View thread

mlambrechts
Full Access
mlambrechts
Full Access
01/06/2016 10:05 pm
Hi, thanks for the wonderful comments on pick ups.
Just want to share my experience.
I have a cheap 83 USA strat (they produced it only for 6mths or so, has only one tone control, was when Fender really was going down). It was a present from my parents in 1983 for my 21th birthday. Left it unplayed for +- 25y and started playing again in 2010. Then a lot older (and money not a problem anymore) I started buying a lot of guitars, all "for better tone". I bought a 2008 Standard LP, but "not good enough", and GAS goes on and on...
Finally I have 3 guitars I play on, and 20 in the spare room that I don't touch... I play on my strat 1983 (in the spare room : strat RI 1962, tele RI 1951, tele 1988), my Gibson LP 2008 (in the spare room : Gibson R4, R8, ES335, SG, LP junior), and a Danelectro ($200).
Reason:
1. I was always looking for "better". The only thing I got was "more expensive"...
2. Most important : I didn't bother looking for good tone with the gear I already had! I think this is a major issue with many players : spend some time with your gear, and almost always you will find the tone with the stuff you already have! Learn how to "dial in" correctly (and every guitar, effect or amp is different: remember that!).

Hope this helps, saves you money, and keeps your partner happy/spend the money on a holiday :)