View post (Mexican strat)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2015 10:48 pm
I bought a Mexican Strat for $150 at a pawn store (is it time for another pawn store thread yet? :D ).

I kept the pickups stock because they sounded fine. And I already have a variety of Strats with HS3s & other pickups. I used it in this vid to demo a treble booster pedal. I used this guitar precisely because they are standard Fender single coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S13PU1ri3k
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Which brings me to the next point; we can tell you anything about a pick-up we like. This doesn't mean it will work for you.

+1000! :) And what Jeff said about pick attack is also right on the money. The type of pickup will affect your tone. Gear does matter & will shape tone. But it's important to remember to find what works for you, regardless of the brand, who else uses that gear, etc.

It's fun to check out gear demos & listen to the sample clips on the product websites. But it's no guarantee it will sound like that in your hands. Sometimes it's possible to find a guitar at a music store with the pickups you are considering buying. Then you can actually play them & see how they sound in your hands!

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory