View post (Mexican strat)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/29/2015 5:19 pm
A few thoughts...

1) If you like the sound you get now, then no reason to hurry (which you said you weren't in a hurry). Food for thought as well; the only reason to change up your gear is when you're not satisfied. You may see the coolest pick-up by a favorite artist and think that you love that tone...spend $100ish to buy it and then pay more for installation...and get home and realize that it didn't change your sound all that much or, even worse, you like it less than your previous sound.

Guitarists have an issue with chasing the shiney object for the ultimate tone. Your hands do more for your tone than any pick-up ever will.

In the 80's, I spent plenty on pick-ups but never spent money unless I hated the tone of the pick-up. Everyone loved Duncan JB's and I had one in a guitar and hated it. Hated. The tech at the guitar store thoughts I was nuts. I switched to an EMG 89 and loved it. The tech hated EMG's so he totally thought I was sniffin' glue....

2) Which brings me to the next point; we can tell you anything about a pick-up we like. This doesn't mean it will work for you. What my ear is looking for in my playing is different than yours. For that matter, the attack in your playing and how that reacts with the pick-up will differ from player to player. Remember that a pick-up is really just a magnetic microphone that reflects what you're playing. Your natural string attack is interpreted by the pick-up and depending on the materials and the number of winds on the bobbin will alter that attack.

By now I know my playing and what I want to hear in my playing cuz I've been playing for a good long time. On my Gibson ES I have Gibson 490R/498T's and I hate them..again, hate. But I know the gear, tone and my playing enough to know that the pick-up is what ain't workin' for me. With that said, I recorded a backing track and needed a hollow, vibro twang and the pick-up was perfect...it matched the style...so there's that.

3) Don't buy a pick-up by name. Listen to them. They all have characteristics. If you can, try them out (of course). The name on the pick-up is meaningless.

It's all specific to your ear. I like EMG's for metal, or even an old Duncan Distortion will do. For the stuff I play now, I like Gibson 59/59T or Fender Texas Specials but that's because I'm more traditional these days.

4) See point number 1 above...If it's sounding good, save your money for strings and picks.

....just my two cents worth. I've spent more money than I should have on pick-ups and learned a few things but it's up to you and your ear.