View post (Reverse Engineering Modes)

View thread

jaeler
jaeler
12/24/2015 3:16 pm
Might have found something even better, that works off your jazz chords. I reverse engineered my prior calculations. I asked the question, what modes would follow the C scale. The answer accounted for the weird chord pattern in my prior calculations. This is where I made my original mistake, I oversimplified the math. (I was actually answering the wrong question, they asked me what is the 5th note of a D dorian scale, don't know, don't care, I was working on the scale conversions. I think the answer would be A which is easy cause I'm working with c, a B dorian, lets see, A major scale, need to look at piano, F#) I checked it on the scale finder, I was correct.

Back to the original question, what modes would follow C scale? The answer is obvious, if C and A are taken by major/minor scales, only 5 options are left, 5 modes. D, E, G, F, and B so a D dorian, an E Phrygian, an F Lydian G myxilodian and a B Locrian.

So following jazz chord progession from F, that gives me an F major, a G dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian. C myxilodian, D minor, E locrian, and an F major, all the same scale, which would be a 15 fret scale run. (of course from there comes the tough part, I'll have to figure out how to translate that into pentatonic scales, would appreciate any help in that regard.)

I'll look up those tutorials as well, just learning a mode (and chord mode) a week, I'll get confused if I add more than that