New stuff

maggior
maggior
09/21/2015 6:02 pm
It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. Some people were following my progress here so I thought I'd share some of the current stuff I've been doing.

I've actually found myself a paying gig. Can you believe it!?!? The lead guitarist of for a local duo retired to Florida and I was asked to replace him. I've been spending a LOT of time learning a pile of songs that are new to me. We did some free things as a trial run. Last week was our official debut and it went well. We were well received. This was a relief for me because the guitarist I've replaced is a phenominal player, so I was concerned about filling his shoes. I can't play like he does, so I just play like I do...I make it work and people seem to like it.

So if you'd like, check out the links for some highlights of our debut performance. I'm having the time of my life...it's a dream realized for me. The support and instruction I received here was a big part helping me get here. A special nod to Anders whose advice has helped me tremendously. Anders' approach to the guitar and music is also very inspiring. I thank you all!! I hope you enjoy watching and listening.

https://youtu.be/NjsdJw5IaxU
https://youtu.be/d7m1jvO7YHk
https://youtu.be/uXJBOwS-qNI
https://youtu.be/5h8a_CH_W-k
# 1
replacement
replacement
09/21/2015 6:58 pm
That is some beautiful, tasteful, playing!
# 2
maggior
maggior
09/21/2015 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: replacementThat is some beautiful, tasteful, playing!

Thanks, I really appreciate the comment!!
# 3
bob99
bob99
09/22/2015 1:20 am
You need a squid hat to wear on stage!! LOL

Nice playing in those vids, Rich. You're living it :cool:
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 4
maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 1:37 am
Originally Posted by: bob99You need a squid hat to wear on stage!! LOL

Nice playing in those vids, Rich. You're living it :cool:

If you saw how much I was sweating up there, you'd know how bad of an idea that would have been! LOL

Thanks...I do feel like I'm living it at the moment. With some work and the lessons here, anybody could do this if that was what they wanted.
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
09/22/2015 2:29 am
Aw living the dream

It's cool to see someone from the site out playing, it should give a lot of other people inspiration to stay at it. Exposer is always good and your having a good time... That's hard to beat.

I like the freedom you have with jut the two of you playing. If you want to hold a note longer or sing a chorus again you just have to lock eyes and node one way or the other. You don't have to get 3 or more people on board.

I can sing but most people do not enjoy it so I never sang when playing. It is a bad habit, but when I was learning new songs fast I just remembered one verse and the course for each song. I would sing those words over and over for each verse. Not having to remember all the words let me concentrate on the music.

Thanks for posting.
# 6
maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 12:39 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500Aw living the dream

It's cool to see someone from the site out playing, it should give a lot of other people inspiration to stay at it. Exposer is always good and your having a good time... That's hard to beat.

I like the freedom you have with jut the two of you playing. If you want to hold a note longer or sing a chorus again you just have to lock eyes and node one way or the other. You don't have to get 3 or more people on board.

I can sing but most people do not enjoy it so I never sang when playing. It is a bad habit, but when I was learning new songs fast I just remembered one verse and the course for each song. I would sing those words over and over for each verse. Not having to remember all the words let me concentrate on the music.

Thanks for posting.

It's surprisng how well a duo comes off. You are right...there's much more flexibility only having to coordinate 2 parts. It also means learning songs is faster, set up/tear down is quicker, schedules easier to manage, and more venue opportunities. We can play anywhere that has room for a DJ. My old band is still trying to get off the ground over a year later...my partner and I got this off the ground about 4 months.

Singing is something I'm working on now. I can do backup vocals and did some that night...just not on these songs. The hard part is playing and singing at the same time! On "Can't You See", it was going well and I didn't want to ruin it...I wanted to focus on my guitar playing :).

I posted this in hopes that somebody may find it inspiring. I came to this site almost 3 years ago. Granted I wasn't a beginner, but I had limited lead and improvisational skills and little confidence. All of the folks here, subscribers and instructors, were instrumental (pun intended :) in helping me attain this goal.
# 7
tsfrance
Full Access
tsfrance
Full Access
09/22/2015 4:17 pm
Great playing Mr. Maggior! Have you thought about adding a nice Tele to your sound?????
# 8
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
09/22/2015 4:19 pm
Hey Rich, great to hear that you're back on stage! Excellent songs plus a really great solo on 'I shot the Sheriff' - I loved it! Congratulations! Steve
# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2015 5:27 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorIt's been a long time since I've posted anything here. Some people were following my progress here so I thought I'd share some of the current stuff I've been doing.

This is awesome. Solid rhythm & accompaniment playing, tasty lead work, in time & in tune. Well done. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 10
maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 6:07 pm
Originally Posted by: tsfranceGreat playing Mr. Maggior! Have you thought about adding a nice Tele to your sound?????

You again with the Tele!?!? LOL

Thanks for your kind words!
# 11
maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelThis is awesome. Solid rhythm & accompaniment playing, tasty lead work, in time & in tune. Well done. :)

Wow, thanks for checking it out Christopher...didn't expect that! This is high praise coming from you :). They are having us back, so it seems they liked it too!
# 12
maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowHey Rich, great to hear that you're back on stage! Excellent songs plus a really great solo on 'I shot the Sheriff' - I loved it! Congratulations! Steve

Thanks...and I'm glad you enjoyed watching/listening! My duo partner loves "Sheriff" also and has been showing it to anybody he can. I think he'll keep me on LOL. We work well together, so this is really great.

In the moment, "Can't You See" felt really special, but listening back, "Sheriff" was the one that stood out.

If you (or anybody else) is interested in following what we are doing, send me a PM and I'll send you a link to our page. I don't want to litter the forum here. I honestly put these here for the benefit of folks that were following me and to show folks that may be struggling where you can take it if you keep at it.
# 13
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
09/23/2015 1:42 pm
Hey Rich, I'm following you like a brand new pup. I even googled the Sheridan. Looked like an awesome place to play.. When the leaves change you should get a photo outside for you CD cover..
# 14
maggior
maggior
09/23/2015 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Hey Rich, I'm following you like a brand new pup. I even googled the Sheridan. Looked like an awesome place to play.. When the leaves change you should get a photo outside for you CD cover..

Thanks man!! :).

It is a really nice place. The dining room along the back has floor to ceiling glass and looks out on the lake. I'll probably bring my family there for dinner.

We need to get a good photo for our flyers. Right now we are using one from when we played at a fair in August and I looked really serious. I just wasn't ready for the picture. Warren, ever the salesman, tells people "he's very serious about his music, you should come check out just how serious he is." LOL

That's a good idea though...get something with some fall leaves in the background.
# 15
bob99
bob99
09/24/2015 4:10 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorYou again with the Tele!?!? LOL

Thanks for your kind words!

Tele? In Cobalt blue maybe? :cool:
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 16

11/05/2015 10:58 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorIt's been a long time since I've posted anything here. Some people were following my progress here so I thought I'd share some of the current stuff I've been doing.

I've actually found myself a paying gig. Can you believe it!?!? The lead guitarist of for a local duo retired to Florida and I was asked to replace him. I've been spending a LOT of time learning a pile of songs that are new to me. We did some free things as a trial run. Last week was our official debut and it went well. We were well received. This was a relief for me because the guitarist I've replaced is a phenominal player, so I was concerned about filling his shoes. I can't play like he does, so I just play like I do...I make it work and people seem to like it.

So if you'd like, check out the links for some highlights of our debut performance. I'm having the time of my life...it's a dream realized for me. The support and instruction I received here was a big part helping me get here. A special nod to Anders whose advice has helped me tremendously. Anders' approach to the guitar and music is also very inspiring. I thank you all!! I hope you enjoy watching and listening.

https://youtu.be/NjsdJw5IaxU
https://youtu.be/d7m1jvO7YHk
https://youtu.be/uXJBOwS-qNI
https://youtu.be/5h8a_CH_W-k

loved all of it rich,very happy 4 ya that your out there doing what you love to do....great playing....
# 17
maggior
maggior
11/18/2015 9:52 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2loved all of it rich,very happy 4 ya that your out there doing what you love to do....great playing....

Just saw this now...thanks for watching and commenting!!
# 18
maggior
maggior
11/19/2015 12:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Doug_12-StringYou guys sound pretty good.
Whatever the videos were recorded on captured the audio nicely.
Few things in life are better than getting paid to do something you enjoy doing.

Thanks Doug for checking it out!

That was recorded with my Canon camcorder with its built in mic...nothing special. The lighting left something to be desired, but it was better than nothing :).

No kidding that it's great to get paid to do what you enjoy.
# 19
RGX312l
RGX312l
12/09/2015 3:41 am
Thanks for sharing these amazing performances. Your passion for the music can really be felt.
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.