View post (Native Instruments Guitar Rig)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
08/24/2015 6:22 am
Addendum to above post to fuzzbox. Want to hear something really cool that I sometimes do with Riff Station. Take a recording like "Key to the Highway" from the Derek and the Dominoes album featuring Eric Clapton and Duane Allman. Play along with it until you have it nailed. Then play it back minus two whole semitones. This changes the key from A to G. Or bump it up from it's original by three semi-tones and it is then changed to the key of C. All of the chords called for change on the horizontally scrolling sequence of chord projections, most of which are right in this case. I don't know any other programs that let you do this and it helps you to adjust the leads and turnarounds to different keys where the song is actually played in that key where you can just play along.

Another thing I do is I like to play a lot of Jimi Hendrix songs. He often tuned a semitone lower that standard pitch. Take a song like "Nightbird Flying" from The Cry of Love. I load that and speed it up 1 semitone. Suddenly in in the key of E and in tune with the song at the higher pitch. I whacked this song out to where I can play all the leads and accompanying flourishes. Then I dropped it that semi-tone to Eb. It was major league easier to adapt to that speed change than to try to learn the song entirely in Eb. These are ideas that took no effort to pull off and they help your brain adjust standard riffs and turn-arounds as well as the progression chords to different adjustments a working musician should be ready to make.