View post (Native Instruments Guitar Rig)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
08/23/2015 9:17 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0xseems like I need to give riffstation another look then, is there a feature that allows you to learn the solo's in songs then? does it show you the tab for these parts?

No. There aren't any programs out there that read either digital or streamed analog music precisely. RiffStation does a better than most job of naming the chords, but if you look into the number of chord types it can name, you'll see no ninths or slash chords or dims or augmented etc. I'm hoping the next version at least lets you write them in, even if they are not in the data base. There is a part of Riff Station that I haven't looked into too much that has to do with, yes, "riffs". But it doesn't seem all that capable.

What it's best at--at least for me, is the two speed models I mentioned, one of which allows you to tune the music to the guitar rather than having you tune your guitar to the music. Since I play along with records mostly, this is a panacea. I never have to touch the tuning pegs. It has a window in the middle where when you activate it you can slide a gizmo from side to side to find where the lead is in the wave so you can isolate on it and cut other stuff that gets in the way out. Because you have complete control of the speed and the ability to back up, You can write the tab yourself on some tab line paper. There are plenty of free tab paper files on the net you can print.

Unless you're trying to tab the fastest shredder in the universe, traditionally the lead in a pop song isn't really that long. I'm an older guy and my kind of music is XTC, the Who, The Kinks--you see, groups that are song-centric not IMO speedy show-offy stuff. I like groups that have lots of tunes that don't sound the same that have cool but relatively short guitar breaks. Riff Station is a tool that works great with the freeware called "Audacity". If you hear any rif you can record it and make an MP3 out of it--just the riff, you don't have to record the whole song. Then you bring it into RiffStation and slow it down, isolate the lead. Write the tab if you need to. Play the MP3 over and over at slow speed and play along. Increase your speed in increments of 20%. All of a sudden, you're playing the lead or the riff at full speed. There are plenty of other ways to use these tools but they'll start to occur if you don't give up.