View post (Native Instruments Guitar Rig)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
08/20/2015 8:11 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0xTerranaut how do you find Riffstation? I downloaded the demo of it but when I used it I found the program got too many chords wrong on the songs I loaded into it so I didn't end up purchasing the full copy.

Riff Station is awesome. None of the software programs that purport to read files or wave patterns and tell you the chords work better than 70% and they never will. But Riff Station is the closets I've seen at it. It doesn't even have any really sophisticated or slash chords in its data base so I know going in that it can't be precise. But one thing that has been worth the money for me is that it has two speed features. One is the "slow downer" which doesn't change the pitch which allows you to learn riffs at a slower pace, and the other--that has been worth more than its weight in gold--is the ability to slow or speed where the pitch DOES shift. This allows you to re-tune any music that is not in tune with your guitar (assuming you're in perfect tune) to the guitar rather than having to re-tune the guitar to the offness in pitch of the song due to post processing tape issues or w/e. You simply nudge the music faster or slower in hundredths of a semitone until it's in tune with your guitar.

I wish I would have had this all my youth. Re-tuning for one song to play along with it on the stereo eats up time and can be a nuisance.

Another thing I do with Riff Station is that, say I hear any bit of music where a guy plays a riff I like. I can capture it with the free program "Audacity", turn it into a short MP3, and then bring it into Riff Station and put it on infinite repeat at a slow rate and keep playing along with it until I'v gotten it. I will write it in tab. There are lots more uses but in Riff Station, you can also isolate the lead guitar so it stands out while in slow motion. You can hear it better and learn it easier. I haven't even used some of the other functions for which it was designed. But the ones I use it for I do so every day. Great tool