View post (Native Instruments Guitar Rig)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
08/19/2015 5:46 am
Originally Posted by: bob99I use GR5 and don't have noise problems. Can you detail out your signal chain?

What guitar/pups are you using?

I have three electrics--one has Seymour Duncan mubuckers with coil tap, one is a Mexican Strat (Deluxe Lone Star Strat with humbucker in bridge position with coil tap), and I have an Epiphone ES 339 Ultra which has Gibson burst-buckers and a nano-mag (which is analogous to a piezo).

I don't go though any external effects. I plug into a Behringer Xenix Q1002 USB mixer which acts as my audio interface. My guitar signal goes from there into the computer and into Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5. The output comes back out the USB back into the mixer and I run the output through a Mogami cable to a Bugera Infinium 55 at tube amp.

Before going to Guitar Rig, I bought a Boss GT001 and a top end Digitech effects processor both of which would not allow me to control effects and models from my PC screen (I I used to with my Boss GS10 circa 2005 with no problem) without a din of high pitched noise. I returned both the $300 Boss and $300 Digitech.

As of now I have made a decision to stop seeking to use my computer(s) in my guitar effects chain. I have an Intel 7 core with solid state drive for the OS which is fast, fast, fast. But it seems to not like to be connected via usb for music making. So I just ordered a Line 6 M 5 stomp box modler which is small but has a fairly big LCD screen of its own built in. I can use it on my desktop. That is important to me because I use programs like Riff Station, Audacity etc. I haven't gotten into computer recording although I have Cube Base, Traktion, and a few other daw packages. For now, I just want to keep learning and improving my chops. I don't need a bunch of different amp and cabinet models. If the Line 6 effects modler comes up short, I can still just go back to Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 and deal with the noise. I was looking at a product by Rolls which may offer an answer. I have a headphone amp by them which is really good for the money. I have found that they offer a "noise eliminator" which is not a noise gate in the usual sense--it's a ground hum eliminator said to be more for my kind of application than an external pedal line. It's about $45. The Line 6 box is $129.