Finding a good teacher

08/08/2000 6:09 pm
I'm frustrated. I hear all these people talking about how they have a great teacher who is making their improvement so much quicker. How do you find one of these great teachers/mentors? This question is largely directed to those of you in the greater Toronto area (I'm looking at you eggman) who might know someone i can go too. I've had teachers before, just guys in their late teens or something trying to get some extra cash. But I want a professional. Satriani taught Vai right? And didn't he teach Kirk Hammet too? or was that someone else... How do these guys hook up with each other?
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/08/2000 7:03 pm
i'm solely self-taught, and don't know of too many guitar teachers, good or bad.

i have seen the ads of one guy - Juan Tomas. He teaches all sorts of guitar, and i've been seriously thinking of calling him. other than that, just check your yellow pages and call places and ask a lot of questions. that's all the advice i feel comfortable giving, seeing as how i've never taken a lesson before. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

------------------
ok, i'm not really the eggman
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/09/2000 1:42 am
I think that generally its good to find a teacher who mainly plays jazz. They are usually the ones most capable to teach a variety of styles, because the knowledge you have to know to play jazz is more extensive than for other styles. A blues player can be great at blues, but he won't be able to teach you metal very well. A metal player can be great at metal, but he won't be able to teach you jazz. If you get a jazz teacher, you're more likely to get the theory and tools that will apply to whatever style you want to play.
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/09/2000 1:20 pm
i have to agree with luigi here. i have a friend who took jazz lessons for 2 years, and he is the best guitarist i know (personally). i think that it would also be a good idea to check out a classical teacher - they're usually heavy on theory which would probably improve your playing.

------------------
ok, i'm not really the eggman
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4

08/09/2000 6:00 pm
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'll start looking.
# 5
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/10/2000 1:57 am
Best thing to do... don't look for teachers. Why pay someone to teach you something? Especially when you can do what I do, which is find the most knowledgeable guitar player and jam with him. In the process just ask him anything you need help with and unless they're an a$$ they'll tell you. Just a reminder - THIS WAY IS FREE!!!

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 6
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/10/2000 2:01 am
BTW - Kirk Hammet did get lessons from Satch, but only about 10. During those lessons he says that the only thing he was concerned with was theory and speed, so most of the lessons would end up being Hammet and Satriani trading off licks together. Satriani supposedly still teaches today, but no one famous.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.