View post (Which Distortion Pedal?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/29/2015 3:05 pm
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588I currently use my overdrive channel on my peavey classic 30 and as I'm sure you know it's very geared towards blues/classic rock tones.

What are some good options for pedals that I can use on the clean channel to get a more aggressive sound? Something like what you'd expect out of a Marshall. I currently do not want to buy an amp so a 70-150$ pedal is a better option for me right now.

I was told to try out a rat by proco, but that's all i've gotten so far.

That really depends upon the style & genre you want to play. The Rat is a very fuzzy, buzzy pedal. So that can work well for certain applications & not for others.

When you say "what you'd expect out of a Marshall" that's a HUGE range of expectations. All the way from the relatively cleanish overdrive of classic ACDC & ZZ Top (big Marshall users), to the more heavy sound of classic Van Halen to the modern high-gain tones of metal players.

I encourage you to find out what your favorite players or bands use. Then go to You Tube or the product sites & listen to demos to hear what the pedals actually sounds like.

Then, go to a music store & try them out before you buy! Have fun pedal shopping!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory