Torrefication

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/25/2015 7:23 pm
I knew about torrefaction; treating wood in a high heat/low oxygen environment to drive out moisture. The process is used to make high energy pellets for wood stoves and to make weather (moisture) impervious lumber for outdoor applications.

What I just learned is that the process is being used by Martin and Taylor to treat spruce used for their guitars' soundboards. At Martin, the result is the sound of a played-in guitar...a new guitar with wood that is similar to 100 year old or older wood because of the reduction in moisture and the resulting change in the wood's cell structure. This artificial aging of the wood is said to make new guitars "more alive, awake and responsive." It also means the tops do not react to changes in humidity.

This link details some amazing, to me, characteristics of these guitars; http://onemanz.com/guitar/articles-2/torrefication/
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.