Tuned to G?????

linda p
linda p
04/20/2015 11:20 pm
Hey Mike; I'm taking on "Wild Horses" beginners an I'm not getting the Tuned to G? What am I missing? An are we all usually tuned to C? I hope this isn't a silly question> LindaP
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/21/2015 2:57 pm
Hi Linda! No your question is not silly! It's a very important one.

The guitar is tuned to "Standard Tuning" - which is, from low string to high string, E A D G B E.

You might be confusing the tuning with the key of the song. In Wild Horses, the verses are using the key of G, while the chorus uses the key of C. The key of the song lets you know how the chords relate to the vocal melody and tonal center of the song.

As a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about what key the song is in.
Just focus on getting the guitar tuned to Standard Tuning, and work on getting familiar with the chords and your strumming.

I hope this helps!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
linda p
linda p
04/23/2015 4:07 pm
Yes, that did help I had never herad of the phase "Standard Tuning. What do you do to keep the motivation up....I fall into these periods of just not wanting to practice an I can't make myself if I'm not into it. There is no magic bullet but any advice would be appreciate. Thanks again LIndaP
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2015 8:51 pm
Well said Doug_12-String!

I would also add that choosing the right combination of long term and short term practice goals go a long way in keeping you motivated.

For example :

Long Term Goal - learn to play this song I love
Short Term Goal - learn the strumming pattern used in the verse section

Using your practice sessions for smaller, broken-down tasks will sharpen your focus. The short term goals are often achieved quicker, and you will feel rewarded from the hard work and practice you've put in, motivating you to keep moving towards your long term goal!

Cheers!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.