Hello to All!

jmmorales
jmmorales
04/02/2015 9:18 pm
Hello everyone! I've been playing guitar since high school, but never became proficient at it. Back in my day guitar tabs didn't exist. We had to learn by ear. I taught myself songs from Eddie Cochran to R.E.M. to Foo Fighters this way. The acoustic guitar has always been my preference so I focused on songs that translated well from electric to acoustic. I've wanted to master the raw sound of the electric guitar.
I'm an artist who's work revolves around rock music and even have done paintings on guitars.
I begun this course and actually started out with the core lessons for 2 reasons:
1. Be a better guitarist so I can learn and play classic and contemporary rock.
2. In attempting to sell the custom guitars I think a selling point would be by playing it to show that it's a functional work of art.
I look forward to learning new skills.
# 1
compart1
compart1
04/03/2015 10:22 am
You must be the oldest person in Guitartricks forum..
Just being humorous..
Here's a clip from Wikipedia.
"Tablature was common during the Renaissance and Baroque eras, and is commonly used in notating rock, pop, folk, ragtime, bluegrass, and blues music"
As an artist (painting and music)I sure you have a general idea of the dates of the Renaissance and Baroque eras.
# 2
jmmorales
jmmorales
04/06/2015 9:04 pm
that's an interesting piece of info. In my youth I didn't have access to guitar tabs and they were not as common as they are today. I've had to improvise by building on a chord and figuring out the rest. When I look at the tabs of songs that I learned on my own I see that I was playing it wrong all along or at least some of it wrong, but feel great that I got most of it right. Anyways, I hope to learn enough from this program to be able to figure out more songs that are not on this site.
# 3
compart1
compart1
04/06/2015 10:37 pm
Hey JM, How old is old in your book..
I'm also oldish.. 70 this year.. I also dabble in art.. I've done just one with the subject of guitar players.
A few years ago we saw guitars with painting in Savannah, Georgia. I don't know if any were playable..
You'll get a lot of use out of Guitar Tricks, so much to learn..
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.