View post (New Tutorial Need)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/01/2015 1:32 pm
It’s a new month and I have a lingering problem. I can pretty much handle any GT lesson I put my mind to given enough practice time. But what I can’t get a handle on is making a meaningful guitar face while I play…the best I can do is a smile. The closest I ever came to a real grimace was when I was playing and had a really bad case of gas (my eyes watered and the audience thought I was really into the Brandi Carlile song I was doing).

Can we get some tutorials on how to make a guitar face? I don’t much care which instructor but I suppose that it should be one that can really show pain while playing. Or ecstasy. On the other hand, there are so many different types of grimaces maybe most/all the instructors could each do a lesson on a particular guitar face for one big, joint tutorial. There’s the pout, the pucker, the cat fish, heavy squint, full-face wince, Metallic snarl (a.k.a. Metallic orgasm). On a more advanced level there is the Face of God, the Deep Focus Face and the Don’t Bother Me Face to name three. When one considers the advanced technique of mixing and blending different guitar faces the potential for a huge tutorial seems huge itself!

I know that some who are deeply involved with GT don’t do lessons themselves, e.g., Jon, Ben and the other Admins, but they must have some way-bad faces they too could contribute. Imagine what they must muster when they have to answer yet another post about losing the Hendrix songs!

Let’s get a Grimace tutorial. My playing isn’t complete without a good face. No guitarist’s is!!
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins