View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/06/2015 10:52 pm
Congrats on your new gear!
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
1: What exactly is the Effects Loop? I've noticed that my TC Corona Chorus sounds beautiful when placed in the Effects Loop, but becomes inaudible when placed before the Input jack. How come that is the case?
[/quote]
The effects loop is a way to insert a sound processor into your amp "in the middle" of the circuitry. Usually in between the pre-amp & power amp stages. As opposed to in the "front" of the amp meaning that the processor sound will travel all the way through the pre-amp & power amp stages.

Certain sound processing units have circuitry that is designed for using one approach, while others are made for the other. Usually stomp box pedals are for the front of the amp, while rack mounted processors are for the effects loop.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Effects_Loops
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
2: How long life span should I expect from the stock Tubes? And after that, how often should they be changed for best tone?

All depends upon how much you use them & how hard you drive them. Could last years if you just play at home & at low volumes. If you blast them every night at top volume or play gigs regularly, they could be ready to change in 6 months or a year.

For most people, somewhere in between those two extremes.
[QUOTE=Kasperow]
3: How do I tell if a Tube is about to "die"?

It will sound BAD. :) There is usually a distinct change in the sound. Including but not limited to: lowered volume, fuzzy or altered output, fading in & out, popping, crackling, smoking, flaming, not working at all!

You can also look at the tubes & see a problem if one is not lit, or lights weaker, poorly or has discoloration.

Hope this helps! Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory