Picking technique

JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
02/05/2015 4:55 am
Hello guys

I have been playing guitar for thirteen years now, and have reached a pretty decent level. I'm more of a rhythm player than a lead player, thought I can hold my own on lead.

However, I am self taught and would like a legit refresher on how to properly hold a pick. Lately, I cannot seem to find a comfortable right hand position, and when I begin to do gallops and tremolo picking it really begins to irritate me. It sort of feels like I may get tendinitis if I don't fix something immediately.

Thanks for the help everyone!
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
02/05/2015 6:10 am
What a coincidence! I've recently been creating new riffs with my gallops. I've also been using the 1 and 3 gallop more, not just the normal pattern.

But about your pick hand, tendonitis isn't that common in your picking hand, that usually happens to your left hand. But carpal tunnel is more common by your thumb from overuse (basically, galloping, alternate picking, playing rhythm, etc. every day).

Do you usually play every day? If so I would take a couple days off. Also don't overlook ice dunking. I do that every once or twice a week to prevent tendonitis.

But anyway, I tend to hold my pick like this: http://guitarless.net46.net/holding_pick.html
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.