View post (Sustain A Note)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/07/2015 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelMy story! I also had a Peavey 2x12 Classic that I used with my Strat copy through an MXR distortion + into the amp & then into a 4x12 cab.

That amp was rock solid & dependable. The basic tone wasn't amazing, but since it had 50 watts of tube power by the time I cranked it through that cab it was awesome! That cab was a big part of the sound. I never realized how much I was missing until I plugged it into one. The mid & bass response of a 4x12 cab being pushed by a lot of tube amp volume is one of those things that is hard to get without those objects.

I don't recall seeing that (if you posted it in the past). Was your Classic this Classic?

That was mine. I always plugged in to 'Bright 1'...I think solely because it was the furthest left. I recall that the four input deal was supposed to be some magic combination to the great tone. Never understood it though....

I do remember the spring reverb being like Armageddon if you bumped it the wrong way.

It was a great standalone practice amp at practice volume. I could get a great chunky tone from the set up but as soon as you start pushing the volume, the bottom end just dropped away. With the 4x12, it had that mid/bottom like you mentioned.

Funny side note...I brought the am in for a little maintenance once (some of the connections were getting kinda janky. The store (I hung out at wayyyy too much) had another of the same Classic 2x12....so we thought it would be cool to do stereo Classic 2x12's with the matching 4x12 cabs just to see what it would sound like.....yes, it was pretty awesome.