Prs

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/29/2014 1:54 am
I've noticed that PRS is an extremely popular choice for metal, rock, prog rock, etc. players, mainly because of the price range and it's a good guitar.

But I finally got to try one the other day, and I noticed that while sitting down it feels very strange due to the body shape. The placement of the curve in the body makes the guitar sit very far to the side of my body, and there's no way I could ever get used to that sitting down.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know it's not a HUGE deal because we play standing up the majority of the time. But I like to sit down when first learning something. So to me that's a deal breaker.
# 1
maggior
maggior
12/29/2014 3:39 pm
What is it about the positioning of the body that you don't like when you are sitting...is it the neck placement or the body itself?

Depending on the model you got, the guitar may have 24 frets. This changes the neck positioning enough that it threw me off. I had to lower the guitar and hold the neck on more of an angle. Sitting down, I wasn't able to really do this.

So, if it is a 24 fret model, you might try a 22 fret model which has a more traditional geometry.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/29/2014 8:02 pm
...or you might try a different way of holding the guitar while sitting.

Try a modified classical position, i.e., one with the guitar in front instead of to the side. Kinda cradled between the legs, not off to the side on one thigh. This could have an added benefit of having the guitar in same position (in front) while sitting as while standing. That's generally considered to make the transition of playing from sitting to standing easier. Further, I've read that such positioning helps with stretch...affords a longer stretch/easier reach.

I changed to this way of holding a guitar when my dreadnaught proved too large to comfortably hold/play in the 'regular' way while sitting. I always play sitting and I always play with this modified classical position.

What's important is to hold and play in a way that is comfortable for you and with the guitar positioned in a way that helps, not hinders, the fret hand with reach, stretch, etc.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
JestMe
Full Access
JestMe
Full Access
12/29/2014 9:39 pm
I wear a strap with all of my guitars including my PRS [22 fret]... they all feel comfortable to me. In fact, I am somewhat hooked on playing with a strap and feel awkward when I play without one.
# 4
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/29/2014 10:59 pm
It's the positioning of the body. The neck is fine. But the body is way too far to the right of my body, so it's like I'm picking way over to the side, not in front of me.

I've used classical positioning before, but it's difficult to play for several hours like that. I tend to get sore.

Jest, are you saying you play with a strap sitting down? If so, you must have it really tight for it to have any effect.
# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/30/2014 1:12 am
See Christopher's guidance on how to set and use a strap, https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13958&s_id=1141 .
Lisa's comments are here, https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=21988 .

I have three very different guitars and I use a strap on each of them when I play sitting...which is all the time. :D With strap adjusted to allow the guitars to hang per Christopher's instructions I find each guitar is comfortable and stable. Without the strap I can feel my body tensing to keep/hold the guitar in place.

The way I held/hold the guitars didn't seem to have much effect on stiffness and soreness. That was cured long ago by concentrating on proper posture (also covered in the above links). Most of my practice sessions run two to two and a half hours...

Come to think about it...the instructors I had when I was a kid had me using straps too, also when sitting.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
JestMe
Full Access
JestMe
Full Access
12/30/2014 4:15 am
I do play with a strap even when sitting down. I do keep the guitar up high where it is comfortable for my hands.

When I visit guitar stores and play without the benefit of a strap I tend to often feel the same awkwardness the you seem to be describing, where the guitar tends to want to go off to the side. I have to struggle to get a comfortable position. Off course the convexness of certain parts of me may play a factor in my discomforts! ;-)
# 7
maggior
maggior
12/30/2014 2:38 pm
It might be worth checking out the different PRS models. The Custom 24 is the most common model, which can also be had in a 22 fret version. There is also the single cut which is the LP body style. The Mira is really cool, which is 22 frets as well.

Only the Cu24 and Cu22 have trems as I recall...the single cut and Mira have fixed bridges.

FWIW, I stand when I play all of the time now and I find it more comfortable than sitting. I'll only sit when I'm in the initial stages of learning a new song.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.