sweepy time

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/28/2014 6:54 am
I've been trying to figure something out, and maybe some of you will have some insight on this:

I've been playing my Strat a lot lately, so that's what I'm most used to. And I've been practicing sweep picking for a little while now, improving slowly but surely.

But the other day I pulled out my Ibanez (Iceman, 2013 I believe) and started practicing some of the same sweeps, and I was doing much better! I even went back to the Strat just to see if I hadn't just improved, and I couldn't play them as well on the Strat.

So it seems that for some reason my Ibanez is better for sweeping, for me anyway. The only thing I can think of is that the Ibanez's fretboard is a bit flatter. Other than that I have no idea why I sweep so much better on it. It does have a humbucker in the neck where the Strat doesn't of course. But it's not just the tone. My technique literally feels smoother.

Any of you have an idea why this is?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2014 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777
I've been playing my Strat a lot lately, so that's what I'm most used to. And I've been practicing sweep picking for a little while now, improving slowly but surely.

But the other day I pulled out my Ibanez (Iceman, 2013 I believe) and started practicing some of the same sweeps, and I was doing much better! I even went back to the Strat just to see if I hadn't just improved, and I couldn't play them as well on the Strat.

So it seems that for some reason my Ibanez is better for sweeping, for me anyway. The only thing I can think of is that the Ibanez's fretboard is a bit flatter. Other than that I have no idea why I sweep so much better on it. It does have a humbucker in the neck where the Strat doesn't of course. But it's not just the tone. My technique literally feels smoother.

Any of you have an idea why this is?

I think you've isolated the difference. There are significant differences between those guitars regarding string spacing and neck/fretboard contours.

All Strats used to have very small fretboard radii, like 7" or 9"! And the contour of the neck was very round like a baseball bat. The string spacing was often narrow at the nut & wider at the bridge.

Newer Strats incorporate the compound radius, but often still share characteristics of their ancestors than newer guitars.

Whereas most all Ibanez have wide, flat necks & wide string spacing. It's called their Wizard line of necks & it was specifically designed for shredding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8DT90z7Bs

Also, have a look at this online discussion with lots of details.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ibanez-neck-shapes-ie-wizard-i-ii-iii-131220.html

I have an Ibanez RG with a Wizard II neck & ironically I find it harder to play certain fast things (like sweeping) than on one of my 70s Strats. :p So, this is a very individual preference sort of thing. You have to find what guitar works best for you.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/28/2014 11:28 pm
Wow! That youtube video you shared has me looking at my Ibanez in a whole new light!

Now that I've watched that, I think the fact that the neck is so thin also helps me sweep pick, because my fingers can reach the lower strings easier and still keep proper form. Combine that with the fretboard being flatter, and it's perfect.

Which is saying a lot, because I was playing my Strat 90% of the time, so if anything that's what I'm most used to.

So I will try not to dishonor this guitar. ;)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.