thumb placement

jang7
jang7
12/19/2014 4:26 am
New on the guitar, so I wanted to get some feedback on the best way to place your thumb on the back of the neck/fretboard while making chords/playing?
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/19/2014 10:09 am
There's two schools of thought on this one, and many people use both: having your thumb around the neck so you can actually mute the low E string when needed, or having it directly behind the neck. I rarely bring my thumb all the way up to mute the E string, and the placement is slightly different with each chord. Make sure you're comfortable and place it somewhere where you can keep your fingers arched so you don't accidentally touch open strings.

Also, a general rule is to have your thumb line up in between your first and middle finger.

Good luck! The best thing to do is to pick two different chords and repeatedly change between them (even without strumming once you know all the note ring out clear).
# 2
jang7
jang7
12/21/2014 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777There's two schools of thought on this one, and many people use both: having your thumb around the neck so you can actually mute the low E string when needed, or having it directly behind the neck. I rarely bring my thumb all the way up to mute the E string, and the placement is slightly different with each chord. Make sure you're comfortable and place it somewhere where you can keep your fingers arched so you don't accidentally touch open strings.

Also, a general rule is to have your thumb line up in between your first and middle finger.

Good luck! The best thing to do is to pick two different chords and repeatedly change between them (even without strumming once you know all the note ring out clear).

Thanks! Good info!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.