Recording with video

Svanholm
Svanholm
12/02/2014 7:10 pm
I have a backingtrack wich Im doing some jam over. I wana record this and have video to it.

How do you guys record that? Do you first record it and just do playback while filming or do you play live?

I dont think my camera mic will do the sound good.

//Mattias
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/02/2014 10:17 pm
I just went through this learning process myself. I used to just use my camera live which doesn't sound too good. So what you need is this:

- Video Editing Software (I downloaded Windows Movie Maker which is free)

- The ability to record the track in your computer (or a way to upload it to your computer). I downloaded the free version of Amplitube. You can use the amps and gear in the software, or you can bypass it and run your own amp/gear through it. But you need an interface (a device that allows you to plug your guitar into your computer).

The latter takes a bit more time to learn. Once I downloaded Amplitube 3, I had to download something called Asio4all to get it to work right, and I also had to turn Windows Audio off in Computer Management.

This is just the way I do it, I know there are other methods. And there are other people who are more knowledgeable than me.

Good luck!
# 2
Svanholm
Svanholm
12/03/2014 2:37 pm
Hm. Thats a good idea! I have a software and hardwear to record it to the computer.

So I just record it thrue that while the camera runs and I just mute that sound in the video program.

That should work.

Thanks mate.
# 3
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/04/2014 2:29 am
Exactly. You can use the video sound to sync up the sound from the recording, then after you're sure it matches, turn the video volume all the way down.

You're welcome
# 4
TheDukeWestern
TheDukeWestern
02/16/2015 6:52 pm
if you have to synce - a good idea is to do a quick little transient - like a finger snap - that makes the lining up process easier
# 5
bobissexy88
bobissexy88
07/14/2016 9:40 am
You might want to consider checking other video camera options as I found mine at http://www.camerarunner.com/best-prosumer-video-camera/ (link is external). You'll also get best tips on how to and what camera to buy. Good luck on choosing!
Lets Rock in Roll
# 6
simplymark8
Full Access
simplymark8
Full Access
08/18/2016 3:15 pm

Best bet is to record at the same time but with different sources. This is my setup:

* Standard XLR condensor mic for voice audio into mixer
* GUITAR > BOSS-001>STEREO INPUT ON MIXER
* MIXER > USB AUDIO INTERFACE > COMPUTER
* CAMERA > COMPUTER

Then I use OBS (https://obsproject.com/) to make the recording. It puts audio and video together. OBS saves it as an .mp4

Costs (I am a cheap person. Much better equipment out there but this works for my home hobby):
* Mic - Behringer Condensor mic - $20 (sweetwater)
* Mixer - Behringer 12 port - $50 (sweetwater)
* USB Audio Interface - Lexicon Alpha - $50 (sweetwater)
* OBS - free software
* Computer - Can be anything.

This way you have zero syncing needed.

# 7
yiliayang0809
yiliayang0809
06/01/2018 11:02 am

Maybe Joyoshare Screen Recorder for PC can help you. I use it to do lots of things for me. A relaible tool!

# 8
davidajordan493
davidajordan493
08/19/2018 4:15 pm

If you want your project to become famous you need to use animation. That is what I found by now on. So which resource would you suggest me, guys? I have seen the animation services and still don’t sure. Everything looks just perfect. Does someone here have some experience with them? Want to hear what do you think. But the resource looks really the best, comparing with others that I have found.

# 9
oulisharunning
oulisharunning
11/06/2018 9:27 am

Actually, you can easily record with video using FoneLab screen recorder.

It is easy to use, and then you can record videos, audio, take screenshot on mac and more without lag.

# 10
nionsomnia
nionsomnia
10/06/2019 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777I just went through this learning process myself. I used to just use my camera live which doesn't sound too good. So what you need is this:[br][br]- Video Editing Software (I downloaded Windows Movie Maker which is free)[br][br]- The ability to record the track in your computer (or a way to upload it to your computer). I downloaded the free version of Amplitube. You can use the amps and gear in the software, or you can bypass it and run your own amp/gear through it. But you need an interface (a device that allows you to plug your guitar into your computer).[br][br]The latter takes a bit more time to learn. Once I downloaded Amplitube 3, I had to download something called Asio4all to get it to work right, and I also had to turn Windows Audio off in Computer Management. [br][br]This is just the way I do it, I know there are other methods. And there are other people who are more knowledgeable than me. [br][br]Good luck!

Amplitube is pretty good!

# 11
frankmaghler
frankmaghler
06/12/2023 10:36 am

Hello all...

One option is to record the audio separately and then sync it with the video during the editing process. This allows you to focus on getting the best audio quality without having to worry about capturing it in real-time while filming. To do this, you would typically connect your instrument or microphone to an audio interface or recording device and record the audio directly into a digital audio workstation (DAW) or recording software. Once you have the audio recorded and finalized, you can then import the video footage into your editing software and sync the audio and video together for a seamless result.

Another option is to perform live while recording both the audio and video simultaneously. This approach can capture the energy and spontaneity of a live performance but may require careful microphone placement to ensure good sound quality. If you feel that your camera's built-in microphone won't do justice to the sound, you can consider using external microphones to capture the audio. Depending on your setup, you can use microphones positioned close to your instrument or use a combination of microphones to capture different elements of the performance, such as vocals or a guitar amp. These external microphones can be connected to an audio interface or recording device to ensure optimal sound quality.

# 12
alekserg37
alekserg37
06/29/2023 4:30 pm

I think there is a big variety of options can be used. Depends on what final video is for, what quality of both audio and video is required. And of course the availability of equipment and budget is important. I mean, one thing, if it’s just for home collection memories, kinda overlaid performance of guitartrack and self video recording synchronized with backingtrack. In this case, as you mentioned, the live performance option with simultaneous recording with a good smart phone is better. BTW for posting in FB or Insta it should be good enough also.
Although, if it’s kinda promo reel or commercial application record such as youtube, web-site, vimeo etc, I think the mentioned separate audio/guitartrack and video recording is better. Preferably to do it in audio or video production studio, if the budget worth it’s expected return. Otherwise, as you mentioned, with DAW or recording soft. The separate recording advantage is also that you have the universal set of tracks and video footage for different purposes. So you can make a lot of things with it’s combining. I mean to make either voiceover to your live-performance video, or to pre-recorded footage, or to stock-video or even to animated video if you wish to sync. One-time record for a life-time use 😃

edited
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.