View post (Scales, My Journey, Where am I going?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2014 4:31 pm
Originally Posted by: adir olf
the scale finder says "this" is pattern 1 and "this" is pattern 2.
Is that a hard and fast rule? To be "patten 1" you have to do exactly that pattern?[/quote]
No. There is no official standard to the numbering of the patterns. For example, the GF2 lessons & the scale finder were done as two separate projects for two different purposes, the pattern numbers do not match.

The project goal of the Scale Finder was to be a complete reference resource. Whereas, the goal of my GF2 scale tutorials is to teach the basic unit of the diatonic scale.

1. The Scale Finder regards "Pattern 1" as the pattern that places the root note on the low E string & played by the pinky, regardless of any other factor. Then, it covers all the strings & frets with notes from that scale in that position. Likewise for the other patterns: the goal is simply to cover the fretboard with the scale pattern.

2. In GF2, since I am teaching the basic concept of scales on a beginner level, I isolate just one octave of each scale & show a place to play it that relates closely to the basic chord it belongs to. Because you can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar, it was important to show three basic patterns of the major scale isolated in one octave. So, I simply numbered them in conceptual order of teaching.
Originally Posted by: adir olf
If you just decided to play one or two notes in different places while doing "pattern 1" does that make it in-valid?
[/quote]
Not at all. As long as you are getting the right sound from the notes you are playing it is perfectly valid.

Any given scale is identified by two pieces of info: it's root note and it scale formula. We start with it's root note, anywhere you can find it on any given instrument.

For example, the C major scale can be played starting on the note C, anywhere you can find it on the guitar. There are lots of places to play the note C on the guitar and, therefore all of them are valid places to start playing the C major scale. Then we follow with the scale formula and get the notes D, E, F, G, A & B. And place them anyway on the guitar you can find them.
[QUOTE=adir olf]
Because you can play the same note in different places then technically you can have a million (exaggeration) variations of a pattern....right?

It does seem like that. :p Not a million, but yes, there are frequently many options because you can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar.
[QUOTE=adir olf]
Does that make any sense what I have asked?

Yes! Those were good questions! :) Do my answers help clarify the issue for you? Please ask more if necessary!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory