View post (Scales, My Journey, Where am I going?)

View thread

icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
12/04/2014 9:51 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegel

There are two parts to learning scales: physical & conceptual.

You need to learn the physical skill set of playing a series of one note at a time on the guitar in order to make single note melodic patterns (using scales of course!).

And you also need to understand how to use the pattern of a scale to create the sound you want. In GF 2 I start with the 2 most important scales: diatonic major & minor.

Okay so I can now fluidly play the c major scale from open string to the 7th fret :) I'm going to continue down the fretboard and learn it completely using the ultimate scale finder.

Your videos did an incredible job filling in the conceptual part of scales for me. Thanks for that! I now understand why once you learn C major the other ones are literally the exact same patterns, but moved over (X) frets.

I don't want to move on to the next part which is the a minor scale. Eventually I will learn that pattern, but I want to complete my competency with major scales first which is the physical part you spoke about. I can go up and down the frets in order. And as mesmerizing as that is with reverb and my delay pedal on :) I would like to learn some licks in c major for rock or blues. I really don't even have to be that picky. Any style of licks will do.

I looked it up using the search feature... "licks in c major" but nothing came up and I can't seem to find any in that specific key while looking through the lessons. I could youtube search demonstrations for this, but I've found that people will mix major and minor scales a lot. I want to work on a core foundation before I move on to embellishments and other ideas. I'm sure you stand behind your core system, but brains are wired many different ways and I feel this would be the best way for me to learn. Where should I look for learning some of these novice to intermediate licks in c major?