View post (High E string overpowering)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/26/2023 2:02 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: mjblikemike

I'm reviving this because it is driving me crazy. I strum ans this high e, especially on up strums is just ringing out and overpowering everything. Electric guitar. I notice it on the g major a lot. I might be hitting it too hard in the up, but I really have to be light on it to avoid this. And sometimes that makes me avoid it completely. So far strumming has been seemingly difficult for me.  Been playing for almost 2 months. 

In general a light touch is all that's required to play everything.  You can dig in & get aggressive with your picking or strumming.  And that can be a useful musical approach at times.  But it has to be equally applied to all the strings in order to be effective.

I suggest looking closer at pick & strum angle.  Is your pick or strum approach deeper as you get to the E string?  Are you twisting your wrist in order to angle the pick on the upstroke?  This helps to get the pick to lightly graze across the strings on the way back.  And always aim for minimal motion.

You are welcome to upload a video for advice.  Or you can take the extra step of a one on one lesson.  Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory