View post (Adding a second guitar)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/04/2014 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: SvanholmIf you have a song witch chords and everything wich you play with one guitar. If you wana add a second guitar, what does he play? Does he play the exacly same thing or?

Great questions! This is all about the art of arrangement. And in this case arranging for a recording.

It's always best to experiment & see for yourself what works & what doesn't. In my experience, I've read that certain guitars, chords, harmonies, etc. will typically work in certain ways, with or against each other. But until I actually tried it myself I didn't know why or realize what my own particular tastes were.

After doing a lot of that kind of arranging & recording I have a much better idea of what works, why & how.

To answer your questions.

The other guitar should play something that compliments the first part. It should work with it & not against it. If it interferes, it will sound cluttered & bad. This part could be the exact same thing, which will typically make the whole thing sound louder & more powerful. But if both parts aren't played pretty closely in sync, then it will probably be a muddy disaster! :)

On the other hand they could be complimentary parts that completely stay out of each others way. But that still means they are playing the same thing musically.

A nylon string acoustic could play open chord voicings low on the neck while an electric with a clean tone can play the same chords, but different voicings of them up higher on the neck.

So, using different guitars, chord voicings, timbres, playing busy on one guitar & sparsely on another, these are all options to try when arranging for multiple guitars in a recording!

Anders explores some of these options with examples in the Rock course.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22633

Also study some of your favorite songs to see how multiple guitars are arranged. For example, this Beatles song uses multiple guitars in clever ways.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1888

Hope this helps. Have fun with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory