Cable: How long?

gstokey
gstokey
10/01/2014 12:00 pm
Hi, I am about to purchase my first pedal, and am looking for advice on the length of the cable going from the pedal to the amp. I was thinking a 3 foot cable, but then thought that I might want to place the pedal further away from the amp. Sorry for the super noob question!

Regards!
# 1

10/01/2014 12:28 pm
Its not a noob question.
I would buy a 8/10 foot cable
Were are you running the pedal in front of amp or in back through the effects loop.
# 2
gstokey
gstokey
10/01/2014 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2Its not a noob question.
I would buy a 8/10 foot cable
Were are you running the pedal in front of amp or in back through the effects loop.

Thanks for the advice. More noob content ahead: I would actually be using it with a Peavy Vypyr 2, at least for the time being. (Have been looking into tube amps, but will probably stick with this for a little while longer). So I assume in the front of the amp?

What I am looking at getting is a DigiTech HardWire Series CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Maybe it's not even worth getting for the solid state amp? It's a really good deal, so I might get it at least for the future.

Thanks for the help!
# 3

10/01/2014 7:39 pm
Doesnt the peavy v,have built in effects.
What kind of music do you play.
Tube amps are great,but there high maintance.
And loud. If your a bedroom player ,1 watt would be good for you. If your not a bedroom player ,the possibility's are endless. I wouldnt hook up a digitech to the peavy.
When your shopping for a tube amp try and make sure it has an effects loop in the back. When you run your boutique pedals through the effects loop,your by passing
The pre amp tube ,and it goes straight to the power tube.
# 4
gstokey
gstokey
10/01/2014 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2Doesnt the peavy v,have built in effects.
What kind of music do you play.
Tube amps are great,but there high maintance.
And loud. If your a bedroom player ,1 watt would be good for you. If your not a bedroom player ,the possibility's are endless. I wouldnt hook up a digitech to the peavy.
When your shopping for a tube amp try and make sure it has an effects loop in the back. When you run your boutique pedals through the effects loop,your by passing
The pre amp tube ,and it goes straight to the power tube.

Thanks again for the great advice! Classic/heavy rock mostly, a little metal, nothing heavier than Metallica, possibly a little jazz/blues. Basically everything! I doubt I would ever play out anywhere, it would be for practice, but I may want to jam with some friends at some point though. I was thinking something around 20 watts? There is the Peavy Valve King that switches between 20/5/1 watt, which seems like a great idea to me. Any amp recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
10/02/2014 2:59 am
Check out the Line 6 Jam.
It would be perfect for a noob.It has effects, records, saves to a SD card in different formats, jam tracks etc.....

I bought one a little over two years ago, for advancing my skills it is the best thing I have bought in 40 years of playing.

12" speaker with 75 watts of power and weights about 50 lbs.
# 6

10/02/2014 11:59 am
Peavey valve king sounds good,i never heard the tone from them though. And keep in mind tube amps are loud.
And your gonna want to crank it to use the power tubes.
On a lower volume your only playing through the pre tubes. I would look into blackstar amps or like haghj said the line 6 spider jam would be a good amp for you,going by what your saying. But if ur stuck on a tube amp ,blackstar/ vox. Believe me 5 watts would work for small venues. Good luck
# 7
gstokey
gstokey
10/02/2014 12:33 pm
Thanks guys. Blackstar is actually high on my list. I have heard great things about the ID series. I suppose I need to get in and check some of these out.
# 8
gstokey
gstokey
10/02/2014 3:25 pm
Been checking out the Line 6, seems great. Has anybody played both the Blackstar ID and Spider Jam?
# 9
haghj500
haghj500
10/03/2014 1:42 am
A person on the site who goes by Outx40, bought one and this is one of his replies.
"haghj500
Yes I have used the speed change mainly because I'm just not that fast yet with some of the more difficult chords. What I find great about that you not only have a hundred different drum patterns to play, but actually many hundreds or even thousands once you change the pitch.
For me the value has been in practicing with essentially a back up band that can play down my level (speed). It's great being able to lay multiple overdub tracks over my play and allows me by trial and error what works and what doesn't in real time versus just reading what the rule book says.
Feel like a kid with this thing."

They cost about $400.00

I have not heard a Blackstar live, it may sound better than a line 6 jam, but I really doubt it can do as much to help you learn.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.