View post (Once again in a band)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
09/08/2014 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorYou'll have time to learn the solos, and improvising them for now is a good approach. When first rehearsing a song as a band, you have to get the groove down and then get the song form down. It's unlikely that you'll get both of those down in one rehearsal session. Even if each individual has it down on their own, it still takes time to get it down as a band, especially if you are just starting to play together.

Have fun and don't expect miracles at the first rehearsal.

Yeah, you're kind of an expert on that by now (compared to me, anyway). I've already got the guitar for the intro, verse and chorus parts of Highway Star down. Since we lack an organ or keyboard for this first rehearsal, I'll probably be playing both the organ and guitar solos on guitar... Or rather, I'll just improvise two guitar solos. So far, this is actually going a lot smoother than I had expected... There's still room for improvement on Ritchie's parts, though. But I suppose that comes once my speed improves... And after practicing it a lot more, of course.

I certainly don't expect miracles. Not yet, anyway. Maybe when we've been playing together for a while and things just come together perfectly. But for now, I agree that having fun is more important.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...