View post (Back in the Saddle)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/15/2014 5:13 pm
In case anyone is still reading this, I just got home from jamming with that new bassist, and sadly, there are some mixed feelings. First off, we were both completely unprepared (not common on my part), but we tried to get something going. I quickly got my gear set up, dialed in the tone I wanted and the settings I wanted on my Pedals (remind me to either buy or build a pedal-board soon), and warmed up. After that, we tried to find something we both knew that we liked, which turned out to be harder than it should... But eventually we managed to settle on trying "Every Breath You Take". Not that either of us knew how to play that song either, but we found the tabs and tried to play it... didn't go too well.

After about 1½ hours of not getting much stuff done, I just went into some of the tunes I knew. He claimed not to know any of them, but considering that he played along just fine says otherwise. Starting with "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", he managed to lay down the bass-line pretty well, actually. Well enough that I could play the solos without it sounding too thin. After that, I went into "Smoke On The Water", and again, he laid out the bass-line pretty well, so I could improvise a solo for that too, without sounding too thin. Finally, I went into "Paradise City", or rather, simplified version that still sounds slightly close to the original. And, surprise surprise, he laid out the bass-line. I stopped it at the solos, though, since I still can't play those, but for someone who didn't know any of the songs I played, he did a pretty good job...

Our biggest mutual disappointment is actually that our styles weren't that compatible. The synergy wasn't there, unlike with the other bassist. Our tastes in music are too far from eachother (he's into 90's and newer stuff), I'm into 80's and older stuff...). Our goals and ambitions don't overlap... And probably the worst part: Out of the 2 hours we spent in the practice-room, we played for about 30 minutes at most!

In a way, I feel like I wasted 2½ hours of my life today. I could easily have spent those 2 hours in the practice room with the other bassist and actually get either some playing or some song-writing done! So I don't think we're gonna play again soon. I'll definitely stick with the other bassist.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...