picking volume

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
07/28/2014 5:59 am
Hey guys. I just wanted to share a few things I've discovered recently. I'm sure a lot of you have already realized these things. But just in case some of you haven't:

When playing lead guitar, whenever I had to play something fast, usually using alternate picking, I was only focused on the timing and not playing sloppy. When it came to tone, I only worried about my amp settings and guitar volume. But what I realized is that I was picking pretty hard which creates this harsh tone sometimes. I started to consciously pick a bit softer and make sure every stroke was consistent, and now my fast licks sound much more professional.

Another thing I realized because of this is when playing with a very clean/acoustic tone, the higher strings are naturally louder. So when picking across all the strings (like arpeggios), I know make sure to actually pick the lower strings harder while picking the higher strings a bit softer. This makes the overall volume more consistent.

Anyway, like I said I'm sure a lot of you have discovered these things already. And if you have any advice to add, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

~Rusty
# 1
maggior
maggior
07/28/2014 12:01 pm
What you've discovered are picking dynamics...which is GREAT!!! The amount of pick attack you use (how hard you strike the strings) is another way that you can add some feel, emotion, etc. to your playing and make it more dynamic - more "professional sounding" as you put it. You'll also find that certain amp settings will respond differently to this. For instance, if you set up a gritty tone where the amp is right at the verge of "breaking up", you can play clean by not digging in to hard with the pick, but once you start digging in, you get a more distorted sound.

Sometimes, that "harsh tone" you describe may be what you want. Once you have control over it, you can bring it out when you think it's appropriate.

Sounds like you are making some awesome progress - good for you!!

One day you should consider making a recording and posting it on the listening post. We'd love to hear some of your playing!!
# 2
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
07/28/2014 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorFor instance, if you set up a gritty tone where the amp is right at the verge of "breaking up", you can play clean by not digging in to hard with the pick, but once you start digging in, you get a more distorted sound.

Sometimes, that "harsh tone" you describe may be what you want. Once you have control over it, you can bring it out when you think it's appropriate.

Yeah good point. I've started to use this when I want certain notes of a solo to stand out as well.

As for posting something in the Listening Section, I've been wanting to but I'm trying to wait until I have some decent recording equipment. As of now all I use is my iPad! My next purchase is going to be some kind of software and maybe a microphone with USB plug in.

By the way, I listened to your Blues in Bm post, and it's awesome. I've actually done more than listen to it, I've played along to it several times. We sound pretty good together haha! But I have trouble not repeating some of the same licks. I have about 10 go-to licks when it comes to blues that are difficult to stay away from. I've tried to actually tab out what you're playing, but my ear is not that good yet.
# 3
haghj500
haghj500
07/29/2014 2:34 am
This may help you get your picking under control faster. Turn your amp volume up, then play scales soft with your pick. It will teach you pick control and touch.

Also with the volume set where you like it, pick one note hard, the next soft. Keep switching.
# 4
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
07/29/2014 2:51 am
Okay I'll give that a shot. I can imagine how it will be kind of difficult at first, because anytime you add something extra that you have to think about while playing, it feels uncomfortable at first.

To me I feel that I get the biggest change in tone when I turn the volume on the guitar down. It seems to clean up the sound when playing with high gain.
# 5
maggior
maggior
07/29/2014 12:42 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777Yeah good point. I've started to use this when I want certain notes of a solo to stand out as well.

As for posting something in the Listening Section, I've been wanting to but I'm trying to wait until I have some decent recording equipment. As of now all I use is my iPad! My next purchase is going to be some kind of software and maybe a microphone with USB plug in.

By the way, I listened to your Blues in Bm post, and it's awesome. I've actually done more than listen to it, I've played along to it several times. We sound pretty good together haha! But I have trouble not repeating some of the same licks. I have about 10 go-to licks when it comes to blues that are difficult to stay away from. I've tried to actually tab out what you're playing, but my ear is not that good yet.

:-). Thank you for sharing that - that has to be the best complement I could get, that you've tried to tab out what I've played!

I know exactly what you mean about repeating yourself. Believe it or not, there's a good bit of repetition in those recordings. I'll take a lick, change the phrasing, play it in a different register, etc.

BTW, here is the backing track that I used:
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/jamtracks/blues_bm.htm

Having a great backing track to play over makes a big difference. For some reason, this track really inspired me when I found it.
# 6
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
07/29/2014 9:55 pm
Thanks! I found a couple good backing tracks on Youtube and I've use a few in the JAM station here. But I know what you mean, sometimes I'll come across one that just brings something out of me that I didn't know I could play.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.