View post (How to properly test-drive an Amp (or "how to find the perfect amp")?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/06/2014 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2Goodluck on finding an amp,as there are so many these days. Why is a tube amp out of the question?.
I have a blackstar ht5rw and its an awsome amp.
Loud enough for small venues and it has an emulated headphone jack. Sounds amazin through headphones for practice without bothering anyone.

And i have a Marshall dsl15 combo which to me sounds great. There both great for classic rock ,blues through in a dist pedal now ur playing metal.
Just a thought imo. Does it have to be new. Because you can find great deals on reverb.com. blackstar id series are great non tube amps. Allot of noise on youtube about them. Good luck.

No offense, but I think there's a minor misunderstanding somewhere. Tube amps aren't out of the question. Large 100W Tube Heads with 2 4x12 cabinets are out of the question. My needs have changed slightly since I created this thread, but not so much it makes a huge difference. As things look right now, I've got a meeting, jam and possible band-start with a bassist next friday, so if that works out well, I'll need something that can get to the "sweet spot", where the Amp sounds best, at somewhat low volumes. The reason I rule out tube-heads is that all the Tube-Heads I've seen so far (at least in a music-store, not just online) were 100W or something outrageous like that, and since I'm not going to be playing at a large festival or a massive outdoor arena, I won't need 100W of Tube-tone through 2 4x12 cabinets. And besides, I've seen plenty of nice smaller tube-combos. I still haven't found the perfect amp for myself yet.

For all I care, it doesn't have to be brand new, or even mint-condition. As long as it sounds great for the kind of music I play, I'll be happy. Well, I don't want one that falls apart the moment I try to put it in my car, for obvious reasons, either. Brand-wise, I'm pretty open, although I'm going to steer away from the Vox AC30... I've tried playing through it once, and I spent over 30 minutes trying to get it to sound the way I wanted, so I'll just stay away from those :)

Features like built-in Reverb, Tremolo, multiple channels or headphone-jack aren't exactly a high priority to me. Especially the thing with channels. I just need one. Maybe two, if they have separate EQs, so I can dial the tone I want with one guitar and another tone for another guitar. More than that, I refuse to pay extra for. Tremolo is not at all important, as I get that through a pedal.

Of course, in the end, there's no better way for me to find the perfect amp, than by playing through as many amps as I can find. And who knows? Maybe I'll end up with a stack, maybe I'll end up with a combo and a mic. Only one good way to find out...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...