View post (How to properly test-drive an Amp (or "how to find the perfect amp")?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
07/19/2014 6:59 am
Originally Posted by: compart1I don't really have any suggestion how to do this other then just trying all the amps that you can.. preferably with your main performing guitar.
You might look at the The Vox Valvetronix+ Series.. "Tube-driven VOX Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 vacuum tube for true-tube tone" The more I learn about mine, the better I like it..
Good luck on your search..[/QUOTE]
Like I said, I'm going to bring my own Les Paul. I know how that one sounds through my Fender Mustang, so it gives me a frame of reference. I've never really heard of the Valvetronix+ series. To be honest, I always thought Vox had only made the legendary AC30 and the more recent AC30C2... Turns out I was wrong. I'm going to see if they carry the Valvetronix+ amp. If they do, I'll check it out :)
Originally Posted by: bob99Take your guitar and go play amps. Lots of them.

I finally settled on two tube amps for man cave use. I chose these because they sound righteous at reasonable volume levels.

Blackstar HT5RH with a separate cab and a Bugera V22.

Most of the time I'm not using these though :) Mostly I use my Yamaha THR10, BOSS GT-001, ReValver or Guitar Rig Pro thru a set of monitors.

I'm not suggesting you buy either of these. Just ideas for amps to try out.

I've heard of the Blackstar amps. Checked out their HT-series at Copenhagen Guitar Show last year. Haven't seen one since then, even though they looked cool. I've read mixed reviews of Bugera, most of which actually say they break down right after the warranty expires, while others state they're some very good, highly versatile amps that don't break the budget. I'll see which Bugera they have, and try them out. Sadly, I know they don't sell Blackstar amps, so I can't check those out.

[QUOTE=haghj500]The best advice I think I can give you is sleep on it over night before you buy. You may listen to 5 to 30 different amps that day. By then you will have amp over load, no matter what you find that day, leave it at the store, get a good nights sleep, then go back and play through it again. If you still love it make it yours, if you have any questions, leave it there.

I left my home 4 different times over 4 or 5 years with money in my pocket and the idea I would buy a new acoustic in my head, but came home empty handed every time because I could not find the guitar that made the sound I was looking for. When I did finally find the one I wanted it cost a bit more than what I wanted to pay. I was very glad I didn't settle for something less on one of my other trips, because I still had the money to pay a little extra for what I wanted.

Do Not Settle! if you go back the next day and that new amp does not sound the same, keep the extra cash until you do find what you want.

Good advice. I've got plenty of amps that I know I'm going to try out. I already know that I won't need a huge stack, so I guess Tube Heads are out of the question (especially 100+W Stacks). To me, something smaller like a 22W Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Combo or a 40W Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III (or 15W Fender Blues Jr.) would be plenty. Both of those two Amps should be loud enough to keep up with a band in a rehearsal-space or a small venue when the time comes. I've also looked at the Hughes&Kettner TubeMeister 5 and 18, but sadly, my local gear-store doesn't have them, so if I want to try them, I'll have to order one, then test it for up to 30 days and then return it if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

All in all, I'll have to try out a bunch of amps, see which ones I can find in a store... And hey, if I don't find something good right away, it's no big deal. After all, I'm not going to be playing gigs anytime soon, as it looks right now.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...