View post (How to properly test-drive an Amp (or "how to find the perfect amp")?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
07/18/2014 8:43 pm
So, I'm going to get paid in just a week, and I think it's time to upgrade my rig a bit. While I do like the sound of my Fender Mustang Amp when I record it, I just don't think it sounds quite as spectacular when I just practice. It sounds good, don't get me wrong... It just lacks the warmth of a real Tube Amp, which leads into my problem...

I'm going to buy myself a Tube Amp when I get paid, and I have a pretty good idea of what my requirements are: It must be able to get a nice overdriven tone for Blues and Rock, but at moderate volumes so I can continue practicing at home without blowing out the windows. As such, 100 W Tube Heads with 2x 412 cabinets are way out of the question. I've already looked at a handful of amps that look like they might just give me what I'm looking for, but I have yet to actually test them to find the best amp. I haven't really tried out a lot of Tube Amps for the sake of finding the ideal Tube Amp for me. Normally, that's only been to test some guitars, but no the situation is reversed... I'm bringing in my own guitar (my Epiphone Les Paul 100 w/ Oil City Pickups in it), so I'll have something I can relate to.

How would you guys go about testing amps for the sake of finding the perfect Tube Amp for your needs? I'm not in a situation where I need a huge 100W Stack or anything like that. Just something that can play loud enough for small venues when the time comes, yet still sounds great when I'm practicing at home or playing with others when I find the people to start a band with. Any suggestions are welcome.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...