View post (Finding a Good Teacher)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/18/2014 3:56 pm
If you are past the fundamentals, I suspect you can get more from this website than from a personal instructor. I took lessons for about a year almost 15 years ago. What I didn't like was he spent the 1/2 hour transcribing a solo and scribbling it in my book, or was scribbling exercises in my book. He could play and was a nice guy, but it felt like a waste of money. He would also plow ahead long before I had gotten down what we had already covered. I eventually lost motivation and stopped.

Here, there are countless songs I can learn. I can learn theory. The instructors are incredibly responsive with any questions you might have. My playing has advanced much more since I've been using this website than when I had a personal instructor. I have 3 younger kids, so I can fit this into my crazy schedule dealing with them.

If you've never touched a guitar before and have no clue, I think it would be better to have a personal instructor. You are long past that though. You also need to be self motivated for this website to work. You get what you put into it...but that's true with personal instruction as well.

If you still want a personal instructor, I think all you can do is talk to people and see if you can find a good recommendation. Otherwise it's just trial and error.