View post (How should I handle un-serious band-mates?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
06/13/2014 9:21 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500To me, you’re right you’re not ready. You are a perfect fit for a jam group. A band can be offered a 2 or 3 hour gig and they have the material ready to fill that much time. How many hours of writing new material and practice are you away from being able to do that? You are still learning how to learn new songs, how can you be ready?

No I didn’t write that to piss you off, I would say the same thing if I was sitting across the table from you drinking a beer trying to be a friend. You have been putting in the time to learn to play, you deserve to take pride in what you have learned, but you’ve got more to learn. Two years from now, think back to this and see how much more you have learned. Think about how much you have learned in the last 6 months.

I know you're not trying to piss me off. From reading your posts on threads in general, not just my own, you just don't strike me as that kind of person.

I think you're right. I may not be quite ready to play in a band just yet. After all, my repertoire of well-known "Crowd-Pleasers" is pretty damn slim right now. I'm pretty sure they can be counted on one hand... Then again, learning a lot of covers has never been my main focus, so it's not really that surprising... Maybe you're right. Maybe I should take two more years of practicing before attempting to start an actual band... Might be for the better, actually, since that'd give me time to improve my tonal clarity when playing those pesky Barre Chords and work on getting my speed up. Not necessarily up to EVH-level speed, but just fast enough to be able to play fast solos. I'd also have time to improve on a bunch of other techniques, so it might be best for everyone if I wait a few years before trying to start a band.

There's only one problem with the whole waiting-thing: I'm really bad at waiting... It doesn't help that my motivation and inspiration pretty much took a bullet to the head during today's practice... So now I'll have to rebuild that as well...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...