View post (How should I handle un-serious band-mates?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/12/2014 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
So, it seems I'm underestimating the value of learning a few dozen songs even if I know I'll never be satisfied with only playing covers. Then I can always re-arrange the songs to match whatever lineup I end up with, and sound differently from the original version. I imagine that could take a lot of time, depending on which songs I choose to learn...

Could be. It's a way of being creative and continuing to hone your skills. Also, while doing your cover band thing, you can be writing your own material at the same time - it may even give you some ideas. Also keep in mind that nobody said you can't be in more than one band at a time!

Pretty much any time you are playing music with other people is time well spent. Whether it be covers or original material, you are gaining experience.

In my first round of adult rock band, I hadn't played ANY of the songs before and felt pressured to learn the quickly. I could learn 80% of the song quickly, but the last 20% was killing me - usually solos! It wasn't totally intentional, but what happened was the last 20% became my own. I took the essence of the song and worked from there. That was one of the most enjoyable parts for me. When we were done, our versions sounded significantly different from the originals, but they were close...close enough that the audience appreciated it yet included enough of "me" to make it interesting.