View post (How should I handle un-serious band-mates?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/12/2014 4:00 pm
Oh I hear you about song selection! Once people finally started throwing out suggestions, I was the guy shooting them down. I've since learned :-).

I've never had a desire to write my own material, so I can't really relate in that regard. I would say that if that is truely what you want to do, you need to either find likeminded people, or start writing your own stuff and getting some "hired hands" to be your band. If you hire your band, you are now fully in charge and need to be able to provide direction to everybody.

A lot of bands started out as cover bands though...so even though that isn't your final goal, I think you have a good idea doing covers. Bands like Dream Theater and Primus do awesome covers of the music they grew up with...yet have very original material of their own.

The stance I plan to adopt assuming my band gets some momentum going again is to consider any and everything. I will also propse that everybody else assume the same stance in the interest of keeping things going. If you band members can do that or agree, then it's time to seriously consider parting ways.

Keep in mind that doing covers doesn't mean you have to recreate the songs as originally written. Yes did some covers in their early years. America by Simon and Garfunkel was on of them. Listen to both versions - they barely resemble eachother. Talk about making it your own!! Sting did the same thing with Police songs. When he went solo, he redid some Police songs in a way that they were barely recognizable. Megadeth did a cover of "These Boots" by Nancy Sinatra - radically different!

Hope you get this sorted out...I know the frustration. Just don't let it get you down or stop you.