View post (How should I handle un-serious band-mates?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/11/2014 8:19 pm
From recent experience, I can relate to how hard it is to get a band moving and off the ground. It led to me leaving the band abuptly because it was driving my crazy. Fortunately we have a second chance at this thing and we are seeing how we can make it work applying what we learned before.

What I'm hearing is that you are much more enthusiastic about playing your instrument and the band project than your bandmates. I wouldn't throw anybody out of the band yet.

Somehow I think you need to convey to your bandmates just what your goals are and what your vision is. It sounds like this is your project. If you want to manage it that way, then you need to get a definitive answer from them whether or not they are on board with your vision. This of course means to need to reflect on just what your vision and goals are. If they are not on board, and you feel that strongly about it, perhaps it's best to part ways at that point. This approach will make it difficult to find people.

On the other hand, you might consider managing this as a more collaborative effort. Rather than trying to find out when they can get together to jam, ask them what they want from the project and how it would work best for them. People respond better when their input is requested and valued. Find out where there passions are and see how you can fold that into your passions and your vision for the band. You are basically recruiting people...and you need to show them why YOU are the guy they should be working for and why YOUR project is the one they should be involved in.

You might also think about how realistic your timeline is. I may be wrong, but it seems like you may be rushing things because of your enthusiasm. You want this to happen NOW!!! I fully understand that, I do. It might be helpful for you to stretch out your timeline a bit to allow time for the people you've brought together to gel.

You read my "realizations" I posted in my band thread. Perhaps you can take away something from that too.

Hopefully something in there is useful :-).