View post (How should I handle un-serious band-mates?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
06/11/2014 7:32 pm
I'm in a bit of a pinch here, regarding a band I'm trying to put together. I've got both a nice Bassist and a nice Guitarist lined up, both of whom claim to be ambitious as well, to the point where we have the same goals and everything... except motivation! Amongst the three of us, I'm the most serious member, and the only one who's doing an active effort to get the three of us to meet and jam. The most commitment I've seen from either of the other two was very little input, regarding which songs to learn first, and even that wasn't a lot, while I practice 'till my fingers get sore and try to find a time and date for us to meet and jam.

Now, don't get me wrong. They're both pretty good at their instruments, and they're nice to play with when it actually happens (which has happened once with the Bassist and three times or so with the Guitarist... in the last 2 months!). I just can't help but think they're not taking it seriously enough. I've sent both a message, asking them when they have the time to jam, but no response.

So I'm starting to wonder what I should do about this problem... Should I give them one last chance to get their **** together or should I kick them out of the band right away? I'd really hate to let those people keep me from reaching my goals, even if it means I have to kick them out. What would you guys recommend I do about this?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...