View post (words with music or music with words?)

View thread

bainbridgemusic
bainbridgemusic
04/02/2020 1:34 pm

I haven't read all the past comments just a few, but I would say in my opinion, it depends and both.

From my experience and watching other people in previous bands and some of my guitar students, writing the music first and then the lyrics is much easier to get started with. [br][br]Then you have a structure and a general feel for the song and it is much easier for someone with little guitar experience to improvise a vocal melody than it is for someone with little experience to fit music to lyrics.[br][br]From an artistic point of view and in a perfect worl where you are fluent at lyric writing, song writing and your guitar playing then it all depends on the end product and not the process.

Even if you are talking just singing, lyrics vs vocal melody could be a factor.[br][br]Sometimes I will start a song with an idea or message from lyrics that well then in turn inpsire the music.

Fake Example of first line of a song: She punched me in the mouth. [br][br]How do you want to feel with the music? Are you angry because it was out of the blue? Are you sad because your love interest took what you said the wrong way? Are you happy because it was the moment that you turned your life around?

Then from their creating your music to best convey that might be one way.[br][br]The reverse could be done as well where you have a vibe from the music which inspires the line of lyrics

[br]You might create a vocal melody by singing random syllables or humming first and then make music around that with no lyrics. Check out The Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd. Those vocals express so much without any lyrics.

[br]I have seen too many poets with a book full of lyrics that have no idea or interest in learning how to put it into music. There is nothing wrong with poetry but just don't get stuck on lyric writing and getting frustrated you can't put it to music. If you want to make music, make that first.