View post (Practicing with two different guitars)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
06/14/2014 3:27 pm
"I say switch as your mood does. The longer you play the more you will find different guitars bring different things out of you. Have you noticed you tend to play some songs on one guitar and not on the other so much?" post:Hagh

Dead on. I have a "stable" of guitars and switching between them is a big source of inspiration for me. If I leave the big ol' Gretsch hollowbody out I'll find myself finger-picking Beatles, old Eagles type stuff, maybe even some old country standards.(Stray Cats type "mood") After a week or so I'll put her up and set out a Paul and my mood changes to harder, faster and more distorted stuff.(Led Zeppelin type "mood") When I feel like I've beat that horse to death I'll put out a Strat which (for me) inspires more complex playing with an emphasis on chord and right-hand work . ( Steely Dan type "mood"). When my inspiration to play is deteriorating I'll clean-up and re-case that guitar - look at all the guitars I have and usually at least one "speaks" to me - begging to come out and play.

I've been told, by people whose opinion I respect, that I've kind of "missed the boat" by not marrying one guitar and taken the benefit of "familiarity" to it's peak. Could be true- but I will never know because I'm always going to be a stable-of-guitars guy. When I die my wife is going to have a garage sale you all don't want to miss! :)