Getting stale

ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
05/15/2014 2:17 pm
I was wondering what people do when this happens to them. I am finding myself hitting a wall on what do to, what songs to try, etc. Everything is seeming stale a bit to me. I know this is just a stage, but I am curious what people do when they hit this? I mean I still love playing as much as I did a year ago (play 1 to 2 hours a night), just hitting the wall of what to do that doesn't have the boring feeling.
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 1
bob99
bob99
05/15/2014 2:44 pm
"How To Write Songs On Guitar" (Rikky Rooksby) is an awesome book stuffed full of great info about writing, playing, theory ...

It never fails to get me going on something
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 2
maggior
maggior
05/15/2014 3:16 pm
It could be worth stepping away from the guitar for a little while...a week maybe? Do something else you may have been itching to do that you haven't had time for because of guitar. Take some time to read a book, perhaps a bio on an artist you like. Pursue a genre of music you like but never explored on the guitar. For instance, I like a lot of jazz from the 50's - Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, etc. One day I want to explore things like Take 5 and So What on the guitar. It's been done a million times, but it would certainly take me out of my regular patterns with my guitar.
# 3
fretsmith
fretsmith
05/15/2014 3:21 pm
This might be some form of "normal"? I know it happens to me too. I don't have your solution ... just validating your feeling. There's certainly more resources for learning/practicing out there than ever ... but sometimes everything just seems old and unsatisfying ("stale"). I think my best pill would be finding some other people to play WITH. Easier said than done.

I have a history of dealing with the stales by letting the guitar drop waaay down the list and focusing on other interests- sometimes for very long periods - until I genuinely miss playing and what used to feel stale is fresh again. I started playing 40 years ago but my accumulated playing would probably amount to less than 25 years. (not a good strategy if becoming a really good player is a high priority goal for you)

Push on brother, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :)
# 4
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
05/15/2014 3:29 pm
I might do that. I might put it down for a week or so, if I can. See if that helps. Then when I come back, come back with some structure (warmups, scales, song, improv, etc).
# 5
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/23/2014 12:17 am
Try alternate tunings, that always helps me keep things fresh. Open D, Open G, Eb tuning, and Drop C are my favorites.
You could also try messing around on another instrument like keyboard for a couple days.
# 6
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
05/28/2014 3:29 pm
I stepped away for a few and have to say it is helping. I still pick it up and play, but I have been focusing on my learning of the piano and of the ins and outs of recording software (Reaper).

Nice thing is, I still love the guitar the best and nothing beats cranking the amp and blasting out a few power chord songs when the work day has sucked. :)
# 7
maggior
maggior
05/28/2014 3:47 pm
Originally Posted by: ThorfinnFriskenI stepped away for a few and have to say it is helping. I still pick it up and play, but I have been focusing on my learning of the piano and of the ins and outs of recording software (Reaper).

Learning the ins and outs of recording software is a GREAT idea! It's not specific to the guitar, but is certainly applicable and can pave the way for more motivation and inspiration in the form of making recordings.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.