Long Time

Terranaut
Terranaut
05/12/2014 11:52 pm
Hi Mike. Super job on that Boston classic. What was the guitar that you used for the big leads and I'm curious on the gauge of string you had on it. I won't consider the guitar disclosure an endorsement or anything. Lots of axes are capable. I have just one electric though and I have 10's on it and managed all the bends, but the trill and those fast high notes aren't as distinct n my guitar when I play them. Would a different gauge string make a difference articulations? I'm sure a lighter gauge would make those bends easier but I generally use the 10's. Thanks.
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/13/2014 3:59 pm
Hey thanks, glad you dug the lesson!

For the leads I used an Ibanez RG-something (don't know exact model number). String gage might be something to experiment with for getting those high notes to pop, but the general consensus there is - "the heavier the gage, the richer the tone". Using that train of thought, perhaps the lighter strings wouldn't necessarily be the answer (although nothing wrong with trying!).

Another thing I would experiment with is your amp tone. If you are finding that the high notes aren't popping, perhaps increasing the highs and presence on your amp or modeler may do the trick.

One last thing is to slow down the licks and make sure you are hitting everything cleanly and distinctly. Much of the tone comes directly from your fingers, and things can get a bit muddy if you're not playing the licks as cleanly as possible.

Hope this helps, lemme know how it goes!
Cheers!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
maggior
maggior
05/13/2014 4:14 pm
One other thing you can try that Mike left out is using the bridge pickup rather than the neck pickup (assuming your guitar has more than one pickup).
# 3
Terranaut
Terranaut
05/13/2014 7:16 pm
Thanks both for the info. I'm using the Peavey Vyper VIP 2 modeling amp with built-in effects and an Epiphone ES 339 ULTRA. The Epi ES 339 Ultra is extremely versatile and includes an acoustic nano mag pickup. The amp has 8 presets for electric guitar. I use a Morley volume/wha because both the guitar and amp are complicated to just turn down one knob. But the presets on the amp let me set a lead volume, a rythym, and an acoustic--though I have Taylor which the amp has four presets for acoustic. I just ordered microphone because of quack on the low E from the saddle pickup. The amp boasts being the first for electric, acoustic and bass and has separate preset banks for each. Bending 10's are tough but so far so good. I can even do the whole step bend on the second fret of D string on "XTC's Towers of London". But I worry about breakage during whole step bends up high on the unwound stings. I take it from Mike I shouldn't worry if it works. Wish I could have some age back more than more gear. At 59 you just entertain yourself mostly.
# 4
Terranaut
Terranaut
05/13/2014 8:10 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorOne other thing you can try that Mike left out is using the bridge pickup rather than the neck pickup (assuming your guitar has more than one pickup).

At first I thought the neck pickup would take away that nasty tone but in trying it, you're so close to the neck pick up that it works well. The guitar is stereo, among other things and I switched the cable to the mono input that cuts out all the "active" stuff and the trill and high triplet were more distinct. Thanks. Good to learn.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.