View post (Upcoming Music-school gig)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
05/06/2014 8:15 pm
Well, I made it through the gig alive, even though my Lead playing was a bit sloppy during the Blues Jam, but that was only during a single lick. I did also get a single chord wrong during the song I played along to, but again, nobody noticed and I managed to save it.

I'm actually surprised that they somehow managed to change the plans one last time, only 5 minutes before it began. I lost my solo-segment, but at least I still got to play, so I'm happy. I also managed to find out exactly why the amplifier I've been using for the lessons (and my playing today) was an extremely bad guitar amp. It turns out it isn't even a guitar amp! It was a Bass Amp (the room used for guitar lessons is also used for Bass Guitar lessons, so I assume my teacher had been using the wrong amp). It does explain why the one I used had no Gain control, and had an overly Bass-heavy tone regardless of how I dialed the EQ. Starting from Thursday, I'll be using the other amp, which is actually a Guitar Amp :)

I talked to the other guitarist while we were carrying the amps back to the lesson-room, and our teacher suggested that we should continue playing together because it was really tight and we really did our best. I said that I've already got a scheduled jam with a bassist (sadly the drummer hasn't been responding at all), and I invited him to come jam with us, and gave him the time and date for the jam. He seemed pretty interested, so I'm hoping he'll be up for it. I could use a great guitarist to back me up, and since he also plays Lead, and we're pretty good at coordinating things, I could easily see us split the solos between us. He has a different tone than me, but that's okay. It wouldn't be fun any other way :) I'm hoping he'll let me know one of the next days before the jam-session, so I can know in advance, and so I can tell him to send some info to the venue we'll be borrowing a practice-space from, because they require all musicians using the practice-spaces to be in their system :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...