View post (Upcoming Music-school gig)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
05/02/2014 9:55 pm
Well, the upcoming gig is getting even closer, and the obligatory pre-gig nerves are starting to set in (even more so due to the utter and complete fiasco that was Wednesday's rehearsal with the singer I'll be backing for...). So far, the schedule is that I'll be arriving at 16:40 on Tuesday and warm up, have a last rehearsal with the other guitarist at 17:00, have a final rehearsal with the singer at 18:00, and then the show starts at 19:00. I should probably make sure to get dinner early, or I'll just collapse halfway through the gig (not cool)... I'm still scheduled to play three times, so collapsing before I'm done playing would really make me look unprofessional, and I was already planning on taking this gig as seriously as possible, to the point where I'll be wearing something I'd wear to a real gig and move around and if they'll allow it, I'll even be using my pedals! I've learned from jamming with others that it's important to wear something I'm comfortable with wearing, yet at the same time, not too comfortable or my creativity during solos seems to suffer a bit... I don't see this as a too serious gig, though. More like "a final exam before starting a band" :) If I can't play this gig, how can I ever hope to become a rock-star?

I hope Tuesday's two rehearsals will be more successful than the two I've had this week. The one with the singer turned into a total catastrophe, to the point where I might as well just not have played (and it would probably have sounded better that way...). The room was just incredibly hot, so I could barely focus, and playing a song with tons of Barre Chords didn't make things better (we've avoided that problem with a Capo, though). Todays rehearsal with the guitarist went pretty well. We managed to get it pretty tight, but we played it a bit too fast, so our playing was a bit sloppy. If we just play it at 100BPM instead of 120, we'll be fine. It sounds better at 100 anyway :) When I get past the gig, I should really consider checking if either Rocksmith or Christopher has any advice for how to practice switching between Open and Barre Chords :) (Okay, just checked. At least Chris has some lessons on "practicing Barre Chords" and switching between the different Barre Chord Shapes... I'll have to go over those when I get a guitar in my hands!!!)

So in short, the plan is: Get in there, set up my gear (preferably including pedals) and rock off and play as many songs as they'll allow during my private slot :D
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...