joined a band some may say

03/20/2014 7:22 pm
ok i really didnt join a band,but i did do the next best thing too joining a band.which is i just bought the BOSS JS10,yeah from what i hear about it,its like haveing your own band in many genres.how cool is that.besides all the practice tools there are,got a good deal @ AMS 10% off ,3 easy payment plan,minkya what more can u ask for.can not wait to plug my axe in this pup.most of all, the reviews i had read ppl are sayin since buying the js10 they hardly play there amps anymore,so that alone speaks large volume to me.slip i hope you dont mind me telling my wife.you were kind enough to buy it for me.lol iam not computor wise at all,but i hear its not so bad to lay down and record urself playin ,onto ur pc.now i may be able to join the listening post,and share some of my ideas of playin.so now i have 4 amps,not including the js10,iam not bragging by far,my point is i will be selling one of my blackstar HT5RW TUBE AMP.IF INTERESTED PM ME,FOR FURTHER DETAILS. i really hope this unit stands up to what everyone says about it.i know you dont get the best sound straight from the speakers,but thats ok,i like useing headphones,so i dont hurt my little one.btw the BS HAS EMULATED HEADPHONE JACK.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/21/2014 4:52 pm
Post back when you've got it, and if you're having any issues figuring stuff out. One thing I noticed with it was most of the effect presets kind of sucked... I don't know why. However, the good news is that its really easy to program your own effect presets, and they can sound really good (the stuff I've posted in the listening post, the lead guitar was all done with the JS10).

What I found helps is just to create your own preset, take all the effects off, and start by choosing an amp simulation that you like the sound of... then build it up from there. For a good lead sound, you'll likely want to combine an amp sim and a pedal simulation, just like you would with a real amp. It can be a little tricky at first to figure out which "amp" and which "pedal" (overdrive or distortion) you like the combined sound of, and how much each should be driven to get a good combined result. What worked for me was to just use my ears, and do it just like you would with a real amp and overdrive or distortion pedal... get a decent sounding drive sound from the amp that you like, then add a distortion or overdrive and use that to push your sound to where you want it. Then add delay, noise-reduction, whatever else you want.

Have fun!
# 2

03/21/2014 5:48 pm
Thanks slip,iam sure i will have fun.
# 3
Coltan
Coltan
03/21/2014 6:37 pm
Hi guys, can you play this with just the effects? Like pick out an effect and amp model that you like and play, or do you have to always play along with a backtrack? Thanks
# 4

03/21/2014 9:01 pm
No you dont have too use the backing tracks,if you dont want to.check out the you tube demos on the js 10.you definitly get ur moneys worth.i"ll give a review of it once i get to know it.
# 5

03/21/2014 9:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardPost back when you've got it, and if you're having any issues figuring stuff out. One thing I noticed with it was most of the effect presets kind of sucked... I don't know why. However, the good news is that its really easy to program your own effect presets, and they can sound really good (the stuff I've posted in the listening post, the lead guitar was all done with the JS10).

What I found helps is just to create your own preset, take all the effects off, and start by choosing an amp simulation that you like the sound of... then build it up from there. For a good lead sound, you'll likely want to combine an amp sim and a pedal simulation, just like you would with a real amp. It can be a little tricky at first to figure out which "amp" and which "pedal" (overdrive or distortion) you like the combined sound of, and how much each should be driven to get a good combined result. What worked for me was to just use my ears, and do it just like you would with a real amp and overdrive or distortion pedal... get a decent sounding drive sound from the amp that you like, then add a distortion or overdrive and use that to push your sound to where you want it. Then add delay, noise-reduction, whatever else you want.

Have fun!
hey slip,do i need any software,like protools,to record a demo and post it on utube.or will a drive work?.i really want too put down some tracks,they way u did.it sounded great,not just the tone,but ur playin as a whole.it was awsome....thanks bud.
# 6
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/22/2014 6:00 pm
Originally Posted by: ColtanHi guys, can you play this with just the effects? Like pick out an effect and amp model that you like and play, or do you have to always play along with a backtrack? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi Coltan! Yes, as Axe says, you can use the unit just to record with. In fact, that's exactly what I did with this solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEp...eature=youtu.be

So I did exactly what you're describing... picked an effect and amp model that I liked (a custom "preset" that I had saved) and then plugged the JS10 into my four-track. All of the other guitars for the backing track were recorded with a different unit (BOSS DR880). Because I was monitoring through the four track with headphones, I didn't want the JS10 to have any sound coming through the speakers. Fortunately, its very easy to turn the speaker output off, but still have audio going out the left and right output jacks... good thinking by BOSS on that one.

[QUOTE=axe2]hey slip,do i need any software,like protools,to record a demo and post it on utube.or will a drive work?.i really want too put down some tracks,they way u did.it sounded great,not just the tone,but ur playin as a whole.it was awsome....thanks bud.

Thanks Axe! :) You don't need any special software. Once you record on the JS10, you can save it as a .wav file. You then take the USB drive, stick into your computer, and import the .wav file from the USB. The only thing I used software for was to add a fade to the audio track. I also converted the .wav to an MP3 file using i-Tunes, because that's what the app wanted to be able to post it on YouTube with a still image. There are sites other than YouTube that will let you post a .wav file... just depends how you want to go about it.

*Make sure you turn the JS10 off before you remove the USB drive. The manual says it can damage the drive if you remove it with the unit on.
# 7

03/26/2014 11:19 am
Yeah it allso says to turn down the volume before shuttin unit off.thats kinda strange ,no...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.