View post (the computer and my guitar)

View thread

mbliss01
mbliss01
08/31/2014 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: thegloorI finally bought a Stealthplug and a M-Audio M-Track to connect my guitar to the Computer over USB.

After installing all the stuff on my PC (don't get me started on the copy protect of pro tools) and downloading the asio4all driver it 'kinda' works. If I boot my system and directly open Ohm Studio I sometimes get my guitar to be heard in the speakers, but then all the other programs can't use them and are just silent. Most of the time the Computer doesn't 'play' the guitar sound and just roots it back to the M-Track.

While I still can record stuff like this, I can't play the guitar and hear sound from the other programs through the same headphone

Am I doing something wrong, or is this behavior normal?[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you are experiencing a common problem due to misunderstanding......
When you add a device such as what you mention, and run the ASIO driver, you are bypassing the on-board sound card. The device becomes the dedicated sound-card or audio device. This is done to provide the potential for reduced latency (The delay between what you play and what you hear.)
Listening via either the headphone output of the added audio device, or the monitor outputs of an added device should be the first fix for this. Getting the computer routing settings sorted and things functioning as desired another step, and getting buffer settings sorted for playback and recording performance yet another step.
This is all intimidating at first, you are not alone in that. But stick with it and once through a bit of a learning curve you will get it.
Further tips: The ASIO4All driver is a generic compromise that sometimes doesn't work to well and leads to frustration, it is best to use a device that provides its own ASIO drivers, such as is likely included with the M-Audio product for example.
Pro-Tools, and many other Daw programs are very complex and not very beginner user friendly. I would recommend a less difficult to learn program for starting out. There are several options, Audacity is free and a good basic place to start and see if PC based recording is for you. Next up, I would recommend checking out Acoustica Mixcraft. Free demo, user friendly relatively intuitive interface yet powerful and loaded with features for the price range. They also host a very helpful user forum that is a great place to learn and get help.

[QUOTE=thegloor]Would a Mac be better?

No. The same complexity, same learning curve.

This can be conquered. If this old guy can figure it out, you can. Google, You tube, Manufacturer websites, books, study. Then Jam.