View post (2014 Les Paul Studio Pro vs. Studio)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
04/18/2014 5:28 pm
Hey guys- good stuff here. I love guitar shopping. I can never resist going into a good looking store when I'm traveling/on vacation. I do guitar stores like women do shoe stores :) . This is a great way to put your hands on brands that you otherwise only see in magazines/reviews. There are a ton of independent stores that are MUCH more interesting than the GC's out there. (( I personally regard Sam Ash as a step above GC ))

Beat up guitars? Amen. Apathetic floor reps? Amen. I agree with Slip - if you're plunking down serious change you have a right to assert a lofty standard. I went shopping a bit ago with a Godin A6 Ultra on my radar ... after several stores I finally found one (chain store).... the strings had visible rust on them, the set-up was absolutely horrible and the dust/fingerprints were everywhere. The sales guy says "we can fix that ... we can fix that".. then why the hell didn't you "fix that" before a cash wielding customer came in to try it?! No sale..

I like what was said about all brands having clunkers and when it is "right" - you just know it. Very true. Also true if you're shopping with a predisposition to a certain "brand"- you're going to end up with that brand- nothing wrong with that. I owned a furniture company for 20 years ... the mattress dept contained the "Big S's" ... Sealy , Serta, etc. , but we also carried independent labels - made from the exact same materials and techniques. The private labels were a bit more profitable and almost always represented a better value to the consumer but people found comfort with a "name" they trusted (justified or not) ... so we cracked them open this way: Who do you suppose sells the MOST hamburgers in the world? (invariably the answer is McDonalds) Do you think McDonalds makes the BEST hamburger in the world? (of course not). Although it's a little cheeky it makes a point that can be applied across any product line- including guitars. All my buddies have Harleys - I ride a Yamaha ... they bust my balls but my Yamaha is more dependable, rides smoother, and doesn't vibrate my arms/ass to numbness- like their Harley's. I know what I like and that's what I got.

Never even thot about the pickup placement on a 24 fret. Seems to conflict "guitar science" but I have a custom 24 (SE series) and the neck tone is one of the best characteristics of it. Not sure what to make of that? Have fun with it Maggior - no rush. Don't be afraid to drive a couple of hours if that's what it takes to visit some different retailers- you might be surprised to find the guitar that feels like magic in your hands and speaks to you immediately is a brand/style that you weren't even considering (?) ((I already gave you my Godin sermon so I won't beat that horse again :)

Good Luck - Take Care;
Ken aka:long winded old fart